Why welded joints rust faster?

In summary: So while the welds may be the primary source of the problem, the added stress from the welding process makes it a contributing factor.
sci-phy
Hey ,
Earlier today, I discovered that on a metal frame in my house, rust was accumulating on the weld whereas other parts seemed ok. Some ppl told me that it was because the welded region was hotter and hence, it rusts faster. But I don't get it... The welded joint has been cool and at the same temperature as the rest of the frame for years. Then why do they rust faster??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of the correct answer but here are some possible effects.

Firstly the welding material may be slightly different alloy from the base which can set up net galvanic action. Like a weak battery being short circuited. It rusts as it "discharges". You see this strongly where you couple brass or copper to iron water pipes.

Secondly if the frame metal had a surface treatment to inhibit corrosion the heat of welding would burn it off.

Thirdly (and my suspicion) is that, steel being a carbon iron alloy, the heat of welding ruins the temper causing microscopic clumping of carbon molecules. These on the surface create points where rust starts. They form little galvanic sites where you get pitting rust instead of a more protective patina of oxide.

sci-phy said:
Hey ,
Earlier today, I discovered that on a metal frame in my house, rust was accumulating on the weld whereas other parts seemed ok. Some ppl told me that it was because the welded region was hotter and hence, it rusts faster. But I don't get it... The welded joint has been cool and at the same temperature as the rest of the frame for years. Then why do they rust faster??

I'm assuming its a stainless steel frame, which will have an appreciable amount of chromium in it (13-18%). This makes it corrosion resistant by forming a stable chromium oxide layer on the surface. There needs to be a minimum amount of chromium in solid solution for the metal to 'heal' itself if the oxide layer is damaged.

Welding adds heat, obviously, and allows chromium carbides and carbonates to form amongst other things. These carbides use up a lot of the chromium in solid solution so you have regions of chromium depletion around the welds, allowing corrosion.

jambaugh said:
I'm not sure of the correct answer but here are some possible effects.

Firstly the welding material may be slightly different alloy from the base which can set up net galvanic action. Like a weak battery being short circuited. It rusts as it "discharges". You see this strongly where you couple brass or copper to iron water pipes.

Secondly if the frame metal had a surface treatment to inhibit corrosion the heat of welding would burn it off.

Thirdly (and my suspicion) is that, steel being a carbon iron alloy, the heat of welding ruins the temper causing microscopic clumping of carbon molecules. These on the surface create points where rust starts. They form little galvanic sites where you get pitting rust instead of a more protective patina of oxide.

I agree with all of this but in addition, the weld areas are under significant stress from the welding operation and stress causes faster corrosion.

I can explain the reason behind welded joints rusting faster. When two pieces of metal are welded together, the process involves heating the metals to a very high temperature and then joining them together. This high temperature causes the metal to undergo a process called annealing, which changes the chemical and physical properties of the metal in the welded region.

One of the changes that occur during annealing is the formation of a new grain structure in the metal. This new grain structure is different from the original structure of the metal and is often weaker and more susceptible to corrosion. Additionally, the high temperature during welding can also cause the formation of small cracks and imperfections in the welded joint, providing a pathway for moisture and oxygen to penetrate and initiate the corrosion process.

Furthermore, the welding process can also introduce impurities and contaminants into the welded joint, which can accelerate the corrosion process. These impurities can come from the welding materials, such as filler metals, or from the surrounding environment.

In contrast, the rest of the metal frame that has not been welded does not undergo the same changes in grain structure and does not have the same level of imperfections, making it less prone to corrosion.

In summary, the combination of changes in grain structure, imperfections, and introduction of impurities during the welding process makes welded joints more vulnerable to corrosion compared to the rest of the metal frame. To prevent or slow down the rusting process, proper surface preparation and coating techniques can be used during the welding process to protect the welded joint from corrosion.

1. Why do welded joints rust faster than other types of joints?

Welded joints are more prone to rust because the welding process causes the formation of a heat-affected zone (HAZ) around the joint. This HAZ has a different microstructure and composition compared to the base metal, making it more susceptible to corrosion.

2. Is there a specific type of welding that causes faster rusting?

Yes, certain types of welding, such as arc welding or gas welding, produce higher temperatures that can result in a larger HAZ. This larger HAZ increases the surface area of the joint, providing more exposed metal for corrosion to occur.

3. Can the type of metal used in welding affect the rate of rusting?

Absolutely. Different metals have varying levels of corrosion resistance, and using dissimilar metals in a welded joint can create a galvanic cell, accelerating the rusting process. It's important to choose compatible metals when welding to reduce the risk of rusting.

4. Can improper welding techniques contribute to faster rusting?

Yes, improper welding techniques, such as inadequate cleaning of the joint or lack of proper shielding gas, can lead to the formation of impurities in the weld, making it more susceptible to corrosion. It's essential to use proper welding techniques to ensure a clean and strong joint that is less likely to rust.

5. Are there ways to prevent welded joints from rusting faster?

Yes, there are several steps that can be taken to prevent welded joints from rusting faster. These include using corrosion-resistant metals, ensuring proper welding techniques are used, and applying protective coatings or paints to the joint. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential rusting issues before they become more severe.