Why Were Nuns Suspended After a Wild Holiday?
- Thread starter Moonbear
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
98 replies · 12K views
Physics news on Phys.org
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
brewnog said:Yeah, when I was younger I never used to get hangovers, and I never lost my memory.
My explanation is that you have to be over 18 for the beer monkey to be allowed into your bedroom to do his magic. Is there a more rational explanation?
Nope, and it seems true, i still don't lsoe memory. It gets fuzzy somtimes, and i really ahve to think hard to remember sometimes, but i never completely forget.
Evo said:Absinthe will make you crazy. I watched a documentary about it. Franz, you don't need to be drinking that stuff!
1) I'm going to end up like john nash anyway, whether or not i drink it.
2) That is entirely the idea. Why else would i want hallucinogenic alcohol?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
If you drink absinthe, make sure its the good stuff.
Presumably absinthe sold commercially is regulated, and therefore safe.
However
from http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.htmlThe drink was referred to in France as "La Fée Verte", or The Green Fairy, which is a reference to its often dazzling green color (depending on the brand). The color usually came from the chlorophyll content of the herbs used in the distillation process; however, some disreputable manufacturers added toxic chemicals to produce both the green color and the louche (or clouding) effect that in reputable brands was caused by the precipitation of the essential oils of the herbs. It is quite probable that the bad reputation absinthe developed was due to these low-grade and perhaps quite poisonous version of the real thing.
Presumably absinthe sold commercially is regulated, and therefore safe.
However
Drinking enough of the pure liquid could prove fatal, i.e. alcohol poisoning. So be careful.Much of the liquor's legendary effect is due to its extremely high alcohol content, ranging from 50% to 75% (usually around 60%), plus the contribution of the various herbs.
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
Astronuc said:If you drink absinthe, make sure its the good stuff.
from http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html
Presumably absinthe sold commercially is regulated, and therefore safe.
However Drinking enough of the pure liquid could prove fatal, i.e. alcohol poisoning. So be careful.
I was joking about the three year's supply, but yes i know my own limitations. When i talk about insane drinking, I'm usually joking. People who drink for the sake of outdrinking each other, or to impress each other are asking for the trouble. I'm all for getting good and drunk, but anyone going past 10 drinks in a short period of time (10 shots of 80 proof or equivalent) is asking for trouble. This stuff is about double that, so going over 4 shots worth (i imagine only us americans drink the stuff in shots) is just asking for trouble.
tribdog
- 779
- 17
doesn't seem to have had any ill effects what so ever.franznietzsche said:Nope, and it seems true, i still don't lsoe memory. It gets fuzzy somtimes, and i really ahve to think hard to remember sometimes, but i never completely forget.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
franznietzsche said:This stuff is about double that, so going over 4 shots worth (i imagine only us americans drink the stuff in shots) is just asking for trouble.
Shots? You're not supposed to drink absinthe as shots! Maybe the stuff you get that they call absinthe here, but isn't (it's just anise liqueur...anything licorice flavored reminds me of medicine, so I definitely don't enjoy that stuff). Absinthe is supposed to be served by melting a sugar cube into it with water. Of course the anise and other herbs added to the real stuff are intended to disguise the gad-awful bitter taste of it.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
And deservedly so. You could just let them drown in the beer, you know.Moonbear said:It's fun to feed beer to slugs! I'm outright evil to the slugs in my garden. I lure them out of the garden with beer, and then salt 'em good! (Can't just dump salt in the garden, or I'd kill the whole garden). Muwahahahaha! *sigh* Why do I have this eerie feeling that now Peta's going to be at my doorstep this spring accusing me of slug abuse?
If Peta doesn't get you, the UC Santa Cruz students will, especially if they're banana slugs. Torturing their team mascot really gets them irate.
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
Moonbear said:Shots? You're not supposed to drink absinthe as shots! Maybe the stuff you get that they call absinthe here, but isn't (it's just anise liqueur...anything licorice flavored reminds me of medicine, so I definitely don't enjoy that stuff). Absinthe is supposed to be served by melting a sugar cube into it with water. Of course the anise and other herbs added to the real stuff are intended to disguise the gad-awful bitter taste of it.
I said 4 shots worth, and yes until i read that page i had never heard of it being consumed anyother way.
The Bob
- 1,127
- 0
Clearly the men wanted to experience sin with the clean sheep.Math Is Hard said:I can't believe any man would sleep with a nun. I mean, c'mon, her old man is The Big J.C. for cryin' out loud!
The Bob (2004 ©)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
HEY! Where the heck have you been, the Bob? I haven't seen you in a coon's age!
tribdog
- 779
- 17
you have to squeeze out the beer they drank, first.brewnog said:Nah, you filter them out once they've drowned, then you can drink the beer.
The Bob
- 1,127
- 0
Ahhhhhhh... I am missed now, am I?Math Is Hard said:HEY! Where the heck have you been, the Bob? I haven't seen you in a coon's age!
[/size]I am here most of the time but I can never find a thread to post in that I can join in with.
*The crowd goes 'Awwwwwww' because they feel sorry for The Bob. Unfortunately for The Bob they do not know why they should feel sorry and are then just embarrased. Then The Bob says' Awwwwwww' and the loop starts*
I wasn't on yesterday or most of today because my service provider didn't have the necessary information and then blamed us. Oh well. Never mind.
The Bob (2004 ©)
tribdog
- 779
- 17
The Bob said:Ahhhhhhh... I am missed now, am I?Finally. I am wanted
[/size]
I am here most of the time but I can never find a thread to post in that I can join in with.
*The crowd goes 'Awwwwwww' because they feel sorry for The Bob. Unfortunately for The Bob they do not know why they should feel sorry and are then just embarrased. Then The Bob says' Awwwwwww' and the loop starts*
I wasn't on yesterday or most of today because my service provider didn't have the necessary information and then blamed us. Oh well. Never mind.I am here.
The Bob (2004 ©)
nobody said missed or wanted. She asked where you had been. sort of like do you have an alibi.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
absinthe does not make the heart grow fonder
Seriously, absinthe's main flavoring comes from wormwood which contains the neurotoxin thujone.
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20000401/fob4.asp
Doctors at the time recognized that absinthe can cause convulsions, hallucinations, and psychotic behavior. Now, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley and Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago have learned how the drink's toxic component wreaks its neurological effects.
Seriously, absinthe's main flavoring comes from wormwood which contains the neurotoxin thujone.
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20000401/fob4.asp
Doctors at the time recognized that absinthe can cause convulsions, hallucinations, and psychotic behavior. Now, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley and Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago have learned how the drink's toxic component wreaks its neurological effects.
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
Evo said:absinthe does not make the heart grow fonder
Seriously, absinthe's main flavoring comes from wormwood which contains the neurotoxin thujone.
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20000401/fob4.asp
Doctors at the time recognized that absinthe can cause convulsions, hallucinations, and psychotic behavior. Now, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley and Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago have learned how the drink's toxic component wreaks its neurological effects.
All of which was already known to us. Didn't you read the links? They discussed the thujone quite a bit.
i'll quote your link
"Present-day absinthe generally has less than 10 parts per million," he says, which is below the maximum concentration permitted by European beverage guidelines. In today's absinthe, "the most toxic compound is the alcohol," quips Arnold.
The thujone in absinthe is not that big a worry. Well, I'm assuming that this is properly made absinthe, but the point is the same.
And besides, without the thujone and wormwood, there is no reason to even get it. Might as well get bacardi 151 or everclear.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
franznietzsche said:And besides, without the thujone and wormwood, there is no reason to even get it. Might as well get bacardi 151 or everclear.
Is there no hope of saving you?
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
Short of divine intervention by the other god, no.Evo said:Is there no hope of saving you?
![]()
so-crates
- 293
- 0
They don't mention what order, or even their general location.
And if you scroll down, they have a heading called "More Bizarre Gossip"
Sounds like a fabrication.
And if you scroll down, they have a heading called "More Bizarre Gossip"
Sounds like a fabrication.
Last edited:
franznietzsche
- 1,523
- 6
Moonbear said:Are you sure you're in the right thread?
![]()
Well you just showed how little you actually know about real nuns.
The PF Convent: A Sham of a Nunnery
The Bob
- 1,127
- 0
Tell you what I will stop trying to have a laugh and just be deadly serious all the time.tribdog said:nobody said missed or wanted. She asked where you had been. sort of like do you have an alibi.
Also my post did say that I have been around and that I have not been on for the last two days because of internet problems. Generally I am around everyday.
The Bob (2004 ©)
tribdog
- 779
- 17
lol, the sooner you realize I just messing with you the sooner we'll get along.
Science Advisor
- 13,423
- 4,244
The Bob said:Tell you what I will stop trying to have a laugh and just be deadly serious all the time.
©
But we don't want u to be deadly serious,we want u to be seriously dead...
Danievil.
The Bob
- 1,127
- 0
Way hay. Like I was going to be serious.tribdog said:lol, the sooner you realize I just messing with you the sooner we'll get along.
However I think Dex has taken the joking to a whole new level. One that could get him in trouble.
The Bob (2004 ©)
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
Guess he'll have to go and kneel down before the nuns for penence.The Bob said:However I think Dex has taken the joking to a whole new level. One that could get him in trouble.
