Exploring the Mathematical Conundrum of 0^0 and 0^1: A Comprehensive Explanation

• Thread starter kaskus
  • Start date
In summary: That is the question.In summary, the concept of 0^0 is undefined in general, but in certain cases, such as for cardinal numbers, it can be defined as 1. However, in real contexts, 0^0 is considered to be undefined. It is a classic "indeterminate form" and the value depends on the specific situation. While some may argue that 0^0 should be defined as 0 or 2 or any other number, the majority consensus is that it remains undefined in real contexts.
kaskus
why why why why ??

Can you explain me why 0^0=1 but 0^1=0 ??

:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

0^0 is undefined. It's not equal to 1.

Depends on what you mean. For real numbers, say 0.0, we may call 0.0^0.0 "undefined". It is a classic "indeterminate form" which means in any case you cannot define 0.0^0.0 by limits.

On the other hand, for cardinal numbers, say 0, we get 0^0 = 1 since there is exactly one function from the empty set to itself.

For other kinds of numbers, you will have to look at the situation and see what happens.

Finally, x^1 = x for any x, and in fact 0^1 is not indeterminate, so this works even for limits.

Dragonfall said:
0^0 is undefined. It's not equal to 1.

Calculator’ shows that 0^0 = 1

Calculator is wrong. Well, it's not completely right. 0^0 is undefined in general, and in very specific cases which people have pointed out, it may be 0 or 1 or whatever.

g_edgar said:
On the other hand, for cardinal numbers, say 0, we get 0^0 = 1 since there is exactly one function from the empty set to itself.

There is no function from the empty set to itself, if we don't allow the empty set to be a function.

Last edited:

in discrete math we like to say 0^0=1 because for any x, x^0 is an instance of the empty product, which logically should be the multiplicative identity (since any number is itself multiplied by the empty product), which is 1. Thus once we see the 0 in the exponent we don't even look to see what is being raised to the zeroth power because it is inconsequential.

Dragonfall said:
There is no function from the empty set to itself, if we don't allow the empty set to be a function.

There is exactly one function from the empty set to itself. You can call it f(x) = x^2 if you like; it's the unique function with domain and codomain equal to the empty set.

The 'usual' formalism for functions is an ordered triple (D, C, S) where D is the domain, C is the codomain, and S is a set of ordered pairs of the form (d, c) where d is in D and c is in C. There is exactly one such ordered pair for each member of D.

So in that sense, the empty set is not a function. The function itself is ({}, {}, {}).

Dragonfall said:
Calculator is wrong. Well, it's not completely right. 0^0 is undefined in general, and in very specific cases which people have pointed out, it may be 0 or 1 or whatever.

i don't believe that calculator is wrong :uhh:

can you explain me :confused:

For example:

[itex]\lim_{x\to 0}0^x=0[/itex], but [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} x^0 = 1[/itex].

kaskus said:
i don't believe that calculator is wrong :uhh:

can you explain me :confused:

Type in 0/0, 1e308, 1/0 and tell me what it says :) .

JCVD said:
in discrete math we like to say 0^0=1 ...
In lots of places in math we say 0^0=1 as abuse of notation. It is a very convenient abuse of notation, but abuse nonetheless. For example, this abuse of notation let's us write infinite series in the form

[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n[/tex]

rather than the slightly more verbose

[tex]f(x)=a_0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nx^n[/tex]However, 0^0 must be undefined. Given any arbitrary number a it is trivial to come up with a function y(x) such that y approaches zero as x approaches zero and such that xy approaches a as x approaches zero.

ok!

How can you prove that 0^0=1 wrong? :confused:

sorry, I'm confused about this case :uhh:

1. Let f(x) = 0^x, and examine how this behaves as x approaches zero. This function is identically zero except at x=0, where it is undefined. So maybe we should define 0^0 to be zero?

2. Let f(x,y) = xy and examine how this behaves as x and y simultaneously approach zero. The limiting value of f(x,y) as x and y approach zero, and even whether a limit even exists, depends entirely on the path taken. One example: Let y(x) = ln(2)/(ln(|x|)-|x|). Note that as x approaches zero, y also approaches zero, and in this case, the limit is 2. So maybe we should define 0^0 to be two? Or 2.71828...? Or 100? (Just replace the ln(2) with 1 and ln(100) to get 2.71828... and 100.)

You can think of it as a division by zero, which is why it doesn't work... x^n/x^m = x^(n-m). Therefore, 0^0 = 0^x/0^x, which is, of course, 0/0 and in the indeterminate form...

Whatever123 said:
You can think of it as a division by zero, which is why it doesn't work... x^n/x^m = x^(n-m). Therefore, 0^0 = 0^x/0^x, which is, of course, 0/0 and in the indeterminate form...

That explanation would also forbid 0^1 = 0.

The usual way of dealing with this is that in integer contexts, 0^0 = 1 and in real contexts, 0^0 is undefined. Here's Pari's opinion:
Code:
> 0^0
%1 = 1
> 0.0^0
%2 = 2
> 0^0.0
  *** _^_: gpow: 0 to a non positive exponent.
> 0.0^0.0

Ahhhh... Yeah, you're correct. Maybe I should have spent more than 30 seconds thinking up my "proof." I should have seen that it would say the same for 0^(x+n)/0^x. Thanks for correcting me. I thought that my explanation was a nice simple way to show that 0^0 is in the indeterminate for real contexts.

CRGreathouse said:
Here's Pari's opinion:
Code:
> 0^0
%1 = 1
> 0.0^0
%2 = 2
> 0^0.0
> 0.0^0.0
CR, can you explain that second result, %2=2?? Not the %2, I understand that. The right hand side, =2.

1. What is 0^0 and 0^1?

0^0 and 0^1 are mathematical expressions representing the powers of 0. 0^0 is often considered an indeterminate form, while 0^1 is equal to 0.

2. Why is 0^0 considered an indeterminate form?

0^0 is considered an indeterminate form because it can take on different values depending on the mathematical context. In some cases, it may be equal to 1, while in others it may be undefined or equal to 0.

3. Can 0^0 be defined as a specific value?

No, 0^0 cannot be defined as a specific value because it can take on different values depending on the context. It is often best to leave it as an indeterminate form.

4. How is the value of 0^1 determined?

The value of 0^1 is determined by the exponent rule, which states that any number raised to the power of 1 is equal to that number. In this case, 0^1 is equal to 0.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding 0^0 and 0^1?

The practical applications of understanding 0^0 and 0^1 include solving certain mathematical problems and equations, such as limits in calculus and combinatorics. It also helps to understand the concept of indeterminate forms and how they can be used in various mathematical contexts.