Why would entangled particles light years away need to be able to cancel?

In summary: CAN cancel they should be able to do whatever they want and because they can't cancel unless they are touching... their states don't mater as long as they are able to cancel by the time they touch. This means that even if you measure one of the particles, the other can still be in a state of superposition... in fact... the only time information about one of the particles must travel instantly is when the two are touching but there would be no distance between them anyways!
Green Zach
Ok, here's my problem... In the EPR experiment it is described that if entangled particles are required to be able to cancel each others spin's then no mater how far apart these particles are, if one is measured you can instantly infer the state of the other particle. Why would the other particle's state matter if it is thousands of light years away? The particles need to be ABLE to cancel but they can't cancel if they don't come in contact with each other so the state of the particles doesn't really mater until they touch so their states should be able to be whatever they want until they touch. Am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some people think of the wavefunction as a mathematical representation of the properties of the system, and some think of it as a mathematical representation of our knowledge about the system. I don't think either of those "interpretations" make much sense.

What everyone agrees on is that we can think about the wavefunction as a measure of the probability that a measurement will have a certain result. The never ending debate is about whether it should, or could, be interpreted as something more than that. As I said, I don't think it can.

If it's just a measure of the probabilities of possible results of experiments, then there's nothing truly disturbing about the EPR scenario, except perhaps that this would imply that QM doesn't actually describe the world.

Usually, the particles are required to "cancel" each other as you say because of some conservation law. If you created 2 photons from an atom that had no angular momentum and they had angular momenta which didn't add up to 0 then you've just violated conservation of angular momentum.

Matterwave said:
Usually, the particles are required to "cancel" each other as you say because of some conservation law. If you created 2 photons from an atom that had no angular momentum and they had angular momenta which didn't add up to 0 then you've just violated conservation of angular momentum.

As long as when the two particles touch they can cancel, i don't see how what they do when they don't touch really maters as long as the resulting differences in their states doesn't allow energy to be created or destroyed somewhere else. Its like saying that because a roller coaster speeds up as it goes down a track that energy is being created... no because once it reaches the height it fell from again (as long as there is no friction involved) it will be going the same speed that it was when it left that height initially. The coaster's state changed but as long as when it goes back to the height it fell from it is going the same speed as it was before it's initial drop, Newton is happy. This is like the particles... as long as they CAN cancel they should be able to do whatever they want and because they can't cancel unless they are touching... their states don't mater as long as they are able to cancel by the time they touch. This means that even if you measure one of the particles, the other can still be in a state of superposition... in fact... the only time information about one of the particles must travel instantly is when the two are touching but there would be no distance between them anyways!

I'm not developing some crazy idea... I'm actually fairly confident that I'm missing something but i just don't see why the particles would need to be able to cancel even if they couldn't cancel because they aren't touching.

Green Zach said:
I'm not developing some crazy idea... I'm actually fairly confident that I'm missing something but i just don't see why the particles would need to be able to cancel even if they couldn't cancel because they aren't touching.

Entangled particles act "as if" they remain in contact with each other. No one knows exactly what happens or how it is done. However, the general scenario you describe is ruled out experimentally.

Please keep in mind that in the particular example you provide, there does not appear to be any obvious problem. If you measure the 2 entangled photons at the same angle setting, say 0 degrees, they will in fact cancel (in terms of conservation). But if you measure at certain other settings - say one at 0 degrees and the other at 22.5 degrees - you get results that make no sense in conventional (classical) terms.

The best place to start is to learn about EPR and Bell's Theorem. You can learn about this from one of my web pages on the subject: Bell's Theorem with Easy Math which also provides some relevant background. You can also see the original references.

Green Zach said:
This is like the particles... as long as they CAN cancel they should be able to do whatever they want and because they can't cancel unless they are touching... their states don't mater as long as they are able to cancel by the time they touch. This means that even if you measure one of the particles, the other can still be in a state of superposition... in fact... the only time information about one of the particles must travel instantly is when the two are touching but there would be no distance between them anyways!
"Touching" isn't a concept that's used in quantum physics. The term "interacting" is used, but what we're talking about here isn't an interaction.

1. Why is entanglement important in quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is important in quantum mechanics because it is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, no matter the distance between them. This allows for the possibility of instantaneous communication and has implications for quantum computing and cryptography.

2. How can entanglement be used in communication?

Entanglement can be used in communication to create secure channels for transmitting information. By entangling particles, any attempt to intercept or eavesdrop on the communication will change the state of the particles, making it detectable to the sender and receiver. This makes entanglement a potential tool for secure communication.

3. Can entangled particles be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While the state of entangled particles can instantly affect each other, information cannot be transmitted this way. Any attempt to use entanglement for communication would still be limited by the speed of light.

4. What is quantum entanglement and how is it different from classical entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other. This is different from classical entanglement, which refers to the physical connection between objects. Quantum entanglement is unique to the quantum world and has properties that cannot be explained by classical physics.

5. How does measuring an entangled particle affect its partner?

Measuring an entangled particle will affect its partner in a correlated way, meaning the state of the partner particle will be determined by the measurement of the first particle. This is known as quantum non-locality and is a key feature of entanglement. However, the measurement does not cause the entangled particles to communicate with each other or transmit information, as this would violate the principles of causality and relativity.