Wifi hotspot recommendations

Hi all,

I am planning a trip where I will travel to the pacific western United States. The states encompassing the trip are Idaho, Oregon, Washington and northern California.
I want to upload some data along the way. I have been seeing many maps that outline hot spot coverage with companies like Verizon Wireless and AT&T. However, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience using another outlet. Or have you used these and they turned out pretty good?

Iridium seems expensive in general but might serve useful.

My resource:

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Both Verizon and AT&T are good and have broad coverage. If you are in populated areas, gas stations, restaurants, libraries and motels also provide Wi-Fi.

Enjoy your trip.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am planning a trip where I will travel to the pacific western United States. The states encompassing the trip are Idaho, Oregon, Washington and northern California.

Are you American, as in from somewhere else in the USA ?
if you are, why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot ?
If you don't have much data on your phone, maybe you should be looking for a better plan, seriously ! :)

If not from the USA, the same comments apply.

I am from Australia, using Vodafone Australia and have 40GB per month for a $45 / month cost and includes phone use
I use my own phone as a wifi hotspot for connecting my laptop, and the wife's ipad etc. to the internet
I even use it when travelling overseas to 85 of the top countries around the world and
it costs me is an extra $5 / day for international roaming with data.
So far have used it in the USA, New Zealand, Uganda and South Africa.

Dave

Last edited:

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I forgot to ask. Do you need to upload from wilderness mountain areas which get no cell signal? If so, then there are inexpensive solutions for text (google Inreach for example), but uploading photos or video needs an expensive satellite phone. The affordable choice is to wait until you return to civilization to do the upload.

I forgot to ask. Do you need to upload from wilderness mountain areas which get no cell signal?
Yes, exactly where I will need to be uploading!

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Uploading status or text or pictures or video or audio?