1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will 5 classes for a semester be doable?

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    I'm registering for next fall and I am planning on taking:

Differential Equations
    OChem 1
    Linear Algebra
    Statics
    Chemical Process Princ & Calculations (chem eng)

I usually only take 4 classes. Any insight would be great, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How do you normally do with 4 classes?? Are you overwhelmed?? Underwhelmed??

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    Depends on you and what other responsibilities you have but 5 classes is fairly normal for me. I did 6 w/ 1 lab last semester and the hard part were test times where I had multiple tests occurring at the same time (4 in one week). I'm doing 5 w/ 2labs this semester and its going decently with labs being the big time sinks. For reference im a dual EE/math major.

If you've handled 4 with not problem then I would go ahead and do 5 especially if its very beneficial for you to get those classes done quickly. I know at my school most of the classes you listed for prereqs for getting into some more serious classes.

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4
    For the past 2 semesters I've done 4 classes and 3-4 labs and I did struggle. I barely got a 2.9-3.0 (out of 4 points) GPA. However, I only have 1 lab with those 5 classes.

Chunkysalsa, for this semester, how much time would you say you put into your classes for homework, studying, etc.?

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5
    I dunno how yours are but labs are a killer for me. Last week I spend everyday working in my lab trying to finish up, and thats not counting the hours spend actually writing up reports. So replacing 3 labs with 1 class seems like less work not more.

I can't really say how much time I spend each day as I have no idea. Probably a few hours each day plus about 5-7hrs on saturdays with a few on sunday. The semester where I did 20credits, I had to plan out what I had to do each day at the beginning of the week which helped alot. Time management is the key to success here.

Final exams are always the killer for me, since you'll have like 5 exams in one week. I plan on spending all my time on campus next week to get ready for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook