Will 5 classes for a semester be doable?

In summary, ChunkySalsa said that if you've handled 4 classes with no problem, then she would recommend doing 5. However, if you struggle, doing 4 may be better. She doesn't know how much time she spends on homework, studying, and other activities each day, but she estimates that it's a few hours each day plus about 5-7 hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
m.hubb
I'm registering for next fall and I am planning on taking:

Differential Equations
OChem 1
Linear Algebra
Statics
Chemical Process Princ & Calculations (chem eng)

I usually only take 4 classes. Any insight would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you normally do with 4 classes?? Are you overwhelmed?? Underwhelmed??

Depends on you and what other responsibilities you have but 5 classes is fairly normal for me. I did 6 w/ 1 lab last semester and the hard part were test times where I had multiple tests occurring at the same time (4 in one week). I'm doing 5 w/ 2labs this semester and its going decently with labs being the big time sinks. For reference I am a dual EE/math major.

If you've handled 4 with not problem then I would go ahead and do 5 especially if its very beneficial for you to get those classes done quickly. I know at my school most of the classes you listed for prereqs for getting into some more serious classes.

For the past 2 semesters I've done 4 classes and 3-4 labs and I did struggle. I barely got a 2.9-3.0 (out of 4 points) GPA. However, I only have 1 lab with those 5 classes.

Chunkysalsa, for this semester, how much time would you say you put into your classes for homework, studying, etc.?

I don't know how yours are but labs are a killer for me. Last week I spend everyday working in my lab trying to finish up, and that's not counting the hours spend actually writing up reports. So replacing 3 labs with 1 class seems like less work not more.

I can't really say how much time I spend each day as I have no idea. Probably a few hours each day plus about 5-7hrs on saturdays with a few on sunday. The semester where I did 20credits, I had to plan out what I had to do each day at the beginning of the week which helped alot. Time management is the key to success here.

Final exams are always the killer for me, since you'll have like 5 exams in one week. I plan on spending all my time on campus next week to get ready for it.

What are the potential benefits of taking 5 classes in one semester?

Taking 5 classes in one semester can potentially allow you to graduate faster, save money on tuition, and have a more concentrated course load.

Is it common for students to take 5 classes in one semester?

It varies from student to student, but taking 5 classes in one semester is not uncommon. Many students choose this option to challenge themselves academically or to catch up if they have fallen behind in credits.

What factors should I consider before deciding to take 5 classes in one semester?

Some important factors to consider include your personal time management skills, the difficulty level of the classes you plan to take, and any other commitments or responsibilities you have outside of school.

What are some potential challenges of taking 5 classes in one semester?

Taking 5 classes in one semester can be challenging because it requires a lot of time and effort to keep up with the workload. It can also be mentally and physically exhausting, and may leave you with less time for extracurricular activities or a part-time job.

Is it possible to drop a class if I am struggling with 5 classes in one semester?

It is possible to drop a class if you are struggling, but it is important to consult with your academic advisor first. Dropping a class may affect your graduation timeline and financial aid, so it is important to carefully consider your options before making a decision.