UMD Math Major: Is Taking 5 Classes Reasonable?

• Thread starter Fisicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary: in summary, a freshman at the university of maryland is considering taking a core class, a physics class, and then 3 math classes.
Fisicks
Hey guys I'm trying to decide how many classes would be doable next semester. For background info, I am a freshman at the university of maryland, and I am a math major.

How viable would it be to take a core class, a physics class (This is the second semester of a three semester, calculus based, general physics course. The subjects covered include electric and magnetic fields and potentials, simple circuits, and Maxwell’s equations in integral form.), and then 3 math classes?

The 3 I had in mind were
-341, which is a second part of a multivariable calc, linear algebra, diff eq class (http://www.math.umd.edu/undergraduate/courses/syllabi/syllabusMATH340.html" )
-410, which is called advanced calculus I (http://www.math.umd.edu/undergraduate/courses/syllabi/syllabusMATH410.html" )
- and then either intro to numbery theory or intro to abstract algebra

I realize that 5 classes with 3 math is doable, but i want to know if it will still be enjoyable if that makes sense. Also, another option is 341, number theory, and abstract algebra and then I could always take 2 maths. The ambitious side of me wants to take 3 though and I need to know if I am being unreasonable.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
These kinds of questions depend almost entirely on how good you are at math/physics and how much free time you want to (not) have. Odds are taking 5 classes with 3 of them math won't be "enjoyable" but you will probably learn a lot. It's up to you.

One semester I took almost just that...a core class (political science), E&M, Advanced Cal. I (into to analysis type course), Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra and a Putnam prep course (only 1 hour a week, no homework, just for fun really). I learned a whole lot but it was quite a bit of work. Definitely doable though.

just FYI:

sometimes less is more. I took 6.5 classes (a lab is a .5) when the normal for my school is 3-4. yes, i did well in all my classes, but I didn't learn as much as I could have. i was always doing an assignment or sleeping or taking a (rare) break.
the reason was a lot of *my* learning doesn't occur when doing problems. it's when I am sitting around and just tihnking about the subject.

"well could i do... with these constraints?"
"hmmm if i modeled ... as ..., how would that compare to modeling it as ...?"
etc

just food for thought. it might apply to you. or maybe irrelevant.

I cannot make a personal recommendation on the number of classes you should take. However, I can provide some general guidelines and considerations for you to make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being. Taking on too many classes can lead to burnout and negatively impact your academic performance. Consider your current workload and how well you have been managing it. If you have been struggling with your current workload, it may be wise to reconsider taking on additional classes.

Secondly, consider the difficulty level of each class. Taking 5 classes, including 3 math classes, can be challenging. Make sure to review the syllabi and course descriptions to get an idea of the workload and expectations for each class. Consider speaking with your academic advisor or other students who have taken these classes to get their insights and advice.

Additionally, think about your long-term goals and how these classes will contribute to your academic and career aspirations. Will taking these classes help you achieve your goals? Or will it be too much of a burden?

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and maintaining a manageable workload. Consider all factors and make a decision that is best for your personal and academic growth.

Related to UMD Math Major: Is Taking 5 Classes Reasonable?

1. Is it common for UMD math majors to take 5 classes in one semester?

Yes, it is common for UMD math majors to take 5 classes in one semester. In fact, many math majors take more than 5 classes per semester in order to fulfill their degree requirements in a timely manner.

2. Will taking 5 classes in one semester be too overwhelming?

It depends on the individual's time management skills and workload of the classes. Some students may find taking 5 classes manageable, while others may struggle. It is important to assess your own capabilities and workload before deciding to take 5 classes.

3. Can I still maintain a good GPA if I take 5 classes in one semester?

Yes, it is possible to maintain a good GPA while taking 5 classes in one semester. However, it may require good time management and dedication to studying and completing assignments. It is important to prioritize your workload and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

4. Are there any resources available for students taking 5 classes in one semester?

Yes, there are resources available for students taking 5 classes in one semester. The university may offer tutoring services, study groups, or academic advising to help students manage their workload and succeed academically. Additionally, professors and teaching assistants are also resources for academic assistance.

5. Can I drop a class if I am struggling with taking 5 classes?

Yes, you can drop a class if you are struggling with taking 5 classes. However, it is important to consider the impact on your degree progress and graduation timeline. It is also recommended to seek assistance from academic advisors before making a decision to drop a class.