Will a gear always mate with itself?

• Thread starter Crespopunto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, you can use a second gear to act as an idler between the original spur and pinion gears if they are not coplanar with the gear shaft axes. The number of teeth on the idler isn't critical, and the direction of the output will change if the gear shaft axes are not coplanar.
Crespopunto
I have a gearbox with a spur and pinion gear which has helical cut teeth.
I can get the spur and pinion gears with either a LH or RH helix.
I would like to increase the centre distance between the input and output shafts.
Can I use a second pinion gear to act as an idler gear between the original spur and pinion?

ie. currently LH pinon >drives> RH spur
change to LH pinion >drives> RH pinion >drives> LH spur

If this is possible does this mean any gear must be capable of mating with itself (helix angle reversed)?

How do I determine the correct centre distance between the two spur gears given that I know the centre distance between the spur and pinion in the original design and the gear PCDs ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Crespopunto said:
I have a gearbox with a spur and pinion gear which has helical cut teeth.
I can get the spur and pinion gears with either a LH or RH helix.
I would like to increase the centre distance between the input and output shafts.
Can I use a second pinion gear to act as an idler gear between the original spur and pinion?

ie. currently LH pinon >drives> RH spur
change to LH pinion >drives> RH pinion >drives> LH spur

If this is possible does this mean any gear must be capable of mating with itself (helix angle reversed)?

How do I determine the correct centre distance between the two spur gears given that I know the centre distance between the spur and pinion in the original design and the gear PCDs ?

Yes, you can use another gear as an idler; can you get one with a bearing inside or will you add bearings to the housing?
The gear handing that you suggest is correct.
The number of teeth on the idler isn't critical; it won't affect the final ratio.
Are you aware that the direction of the output will change if you add the idler (currently the gears turn opposite directions, they will turn the same direction after the idler is added in between).
If the gear shaft axes are coplanar, then the centre distance will increase by the pitch diameter of the gear that is added between them. If the gear shaft axes are not coplanar, the answer is not so simple.

Welcome to PF, Cres. (I don't care whether or not you like that abbreviation of your name; it's all that you get from me.)
Is there any particular reason for the size of your gears? I'm just thinking that the easiest way to match them up with a different axial centre would be to enlarge them to the point where they meet with the same ratio that you had to begin with. Just thinking out loud; I might be missing something.

1. What is a gear?

A gear is a mechanical component that is used to transmit power and motion between two rotating shafts. It consists of a toothed wheel or cylinder that meshes with another gear, creating a mechanical advantage and changing the speed or direction of rotation.

2. What does it mean for a gear to mate with itself?

A gear is said to mate with itself when it is able to rotate and mesh with a copy of itself, creating a continuous motion without the need for another gear to complete the mechanism. This is also known as internal or self-meshing.

3. Will any gear always mate with itself?

No, not all gears are capable of self-meshing. This depends on the type and design of the gear. For example, spur gears and helical gears are able to mate with themselves, while bevel gears and worm gears are not.

4. Are there any advantages to using gears that mate with themselves?

Yes, gears that mate with themselves can offer advantages such as compact design, smoother operation, and reduced noise compared to gears that require an external mate. They also eliminate the need for an additional gear, reducing the overall complexity and cost of the mechanism.

5. Is it possible for a gear to mate with itself in all situations?

No, there are certain factors that can prevent gears from self-meshing, such as insufficient clearance between the teeth, misalignment, or excessive torque. Additionally, certain gear materials or lubricants may not be suitable for self-meshing, requiring an external mate for proper operation.