Will a High Vaccination Rate Affect Contact Tracing?

In summary: I think contact tracing is still an effective measure, I just think it might not be as effective as it used to be as the infection rate decreases.
I heard an immunologist say the other day that once a high vaccination rate is achieved, contact tracing will likely not be effective. I can sort of understand why. Does anyone from places with a high vaccination rate know if contact tracing is still an effective measure? It is very widely used in Australia. If it no longer has value, it could hamper our efforts to contain it. Of course, vaccination itself helps greatly in controlling the pandemic.

Thanks
Bill

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't understand why this would be.

I would think that contract tracing would be less effective in populations with high rates of infection.
Too many infected people to make a reasonable attempt at figuring out all of their contacts impossible.
This seems to be the case in much of the US, maybe not now though as infection rates are going down.

As the infection rate lowers, there would be a better ratio of infected to trackers.
This should make it more feasible to track all infected people.
In addition, the infected will be fewer and could receive better treatment.
It really annoys (exceedingly much!) me that when this was first getting started here in the US, whoever was in charge, were not resolute enough to try hard to indentify, isolate, and treat all the infected people, early on.

Your question about high vaccination rates, to me implies low rates of infection, and thus a more feasible possibility of tracking infections in the population.

Maybe "they" think its not effective because they expect infections to continue dropping, or perhaps antibodies in the blood confound an antigen test.
However, there are other diagnostic methods, and I prefer a more cautious approach.

Likes bhobba
With vaccination, we expect the proportion of asymptomatic cases to increase. So contact tracing must take that into account, eg. by testing close contacts even if they are not symptomatic, and by testing them at several intervals to take the incubation period into account. Some contact tracing systems are already doing this, but if they aren't, then they might need to change tactics.

Likes bhobba and BillTre

1. How does a high vaccination rate affect contact tracing?

A high vaccination rate can greatly reduce the number of people who contract a disease, making it easier for contact tracers to identify and track potential cases. With fewer cases to investigate, contact tracers can focus on more targeted and efficient tracing efforts.

2. Can a high vaccination rate eliminate the need for contact tracing?

While a high vaccination rate can greatly reduce the need for contact tracing, it cannot completely eliminate the need for it. Vaccines are not 100% effective and there is still a chance for vaccinated individuals to contract and spread a disease. Contact tracing is still an important tool in identifying and containing potential outbreaks.

3. Will a high vaccination rate make it easier to contain outbreaks?

Yes, a high vaccination rate can make it easier to contain outbreaks. With a large portion of the population vaccinated, there will be fewer potential cases to trace and isolate, making it easier to prevent the spread of a disease.

4. How does the effectiveness of a vaccine impact contact tracing efforts?

The effectiveness of a vaccine can greatly influence contact tracing efforts. A highly effective vaccine can greatly reduce the number of cases and make it easier for contact tracers to identify and isolate potential cases. On the other hand, a less effective vaccine may still require extensive contact tracing efforts to contain an outbreak.

5. What are the challenges of contact tracing in a population with a high vaccination rate?

One challenge of contact tracing in a population with a high vaccination rate is identifying and tracing breakthrough cases, where a vaccinated individual contracts and spreads the disease. Additionally, there may also be challenges in convincing individuals who are vaccinated to still follow contact tracing protocols and cooperate with contact tracers.