1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Will building a telescope help my resume?

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1
    The Physics group at my university is building an optical telescope (it will have a dome the size of an 8mX4m room and the mirror will have a diameter of about 65cm.) and we might also build a radio telescope or an array of telescopes which will work as one giant telescope. Also, I heard that we were gonna install a spectrometer to help us conduct researches with the telescope.

Now I don't want to go into research that deals with building telescopes, but I want to use the already built telescopes to do research in Astronomy. I will work on this project nonetheless because I have nothing else to do right now and because it sounds like it will give me a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. But just out of curiosity: say I want to work in finding distant galaxies in the future or study quasars or exo-moons or whatever, will having the fact that I helped build a telescope when I was a freshman help my CV when I apply for grad school?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably not explicitly, but knowledge gained is never harmful.

65 cm is a bit small for a research scope, but you could do some variable star or NEO work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted