Will building a telescope help my resume?

In summary, the Physics group at my university is building an optical telescope with a dome the size of an 8mX4m room and a mirror diameter of 65cm. They may also build a radio telescope or an array of telescopes. They plan to install a spectrometer for research purposes. While not directly related, the experience gained from working on this project may benefit the individual when applying for grad school, potentially in fields such as finding distant galaxies, studying quasars, or exo-moons. However, the telescope's size may limit the types of research that can be conducted.
Phys12
The Physics group at my university is building an optical telescope (it will have a dome the size of an 8mX4m room and the mirror will have a diameter of about 65cm.) and we might also build a radio telescope or an array of telescopes which will work as one giant telescope. Also, I heard that we were going to install a spectrometer to help us conduct researches with the telescope.

Now I don't want to go into research that deals with building telescopes, but I want to use the already built telescopes to do research in Astronomy. I will work on this project nonetheless because I have nothing else to do right now and because it sounds like it will give me a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. But just out of curiosity: say I want to work in finding distant galaxies in the future or study quasars or exo-moons or whatever, will having the fact that I helped build a telescope when I was a freshman help my CV when I apply for grad school?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys12 said:
The Physics group at my university is building an optical telescope (it will have a dome the size of an 8mX4m room and the mirror will have a diameter of about 65cm.) and we might also build a radio telescope or an array of telescopes which will work as one giant telescope. Also, I heard that we were going to install a spectrometer to help us conduct researches with the telescope.

Now I don't want to go into research that deals with building telescopes, but I want to use the already built telescopes to do research in Astronomy. I will work on this project nonetheless because I have nothing else to do right now and because it sounds like it will give me a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. But just out of curiosity: say I want to work in finding distant galaxies in the future or study quasars or exo-moons or whatever, will having the fact that I helped build a telescope when I was a freshman help my CV when I apply for grad school?

Thank you!

Probably not explicitly, but knowledge gained is never harmful.

65 cm is a bit small for a research scope, but you could do some variable star or NEO work.

1. Will building a telescope improve my scientific skills?

Yes, building a telescope requires a combination of scientific knowledge, technical skills, and problem-solving abilities. By undertaking this project, you will develop a deeper understanding of optics, electronics, and mechanics, which can greatly enhance your scientific skills and make you a more well-rounded scientist.

2. Can building a telescope make me more competitive in the field of astronomy?

Absolutely. Astronomy is a highly competitive field, and having hands-on experience in telescope construction can give you an edge over other applicants when applying for jobs or graduate school. It shows that you are not only knowledgeable about astronomy, but also have practical skills and a strong interest in the subject.

3. Will building a telescope demonstrate my ability to work independently?

Yes, building a telescope requires a lot of independent work, from researching and selecting the right materials to troubleshooting any issues that may arise during construction. This project will showcase your ability to work independently, take initiative, and see a project through from start to finish.

4. Can building a telescope help me stand out in a job interview?

Definitely. Employers often look for candidates who have a diverse set of skills and experiences, and building a telescope is a unique and impressive accomplishment that can set you apart from other applicants. It also shows your passion for science and your dedication to self-improvement.

5. Will building a telescope be a valuable addition to my resume?

Yes, building a telescope is a valuable addition to your resume as it demonstrates a range of skills and qualities that are highly sought after in the scientific community, including technical proficiency, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for science. It also shows that you are willing to take on challenging projects and go above and beyond to expand your knowledge and expertise.