Will I be able to take classes that aren't part of my major?

In summary: However, if you are able to get a professor who is willing to waive the prerequisites, it may be possible.
STS816
I am signed up to be a ME major at the University of Kentucky but I've always loved physics, especially quantum physics. Am I going to be able to take some advanced physics classes without majoring in physics? I know there is a lot of physics in ME but not the kind I want to take. Is a double major in ME and physics do-able? Or would that be too much?

And I had planned on majoring in physics since 6th or 7th grade but it was only this year that I finally asked myself the all important question: "What in the world would I do with a degree in physics?". That's when I switched to ME.

It's a tug-of-war between being realistic and doing what I enjoy. I'm sure I would enjoy ME (I want to work on spacecraft ) but I've always had a thing for physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on your department. I wouldn't see any reason why you could not take a course or two in the physics department as an elective course which is not required for your major.

It depends on how you structure your time. We have an EE major taking the physics E&M series for fun right now, and I just took an EE class last quarter even though I'm a physics major.

I know that some places basically set your schedule for you for your last 2 or 3 years because the course load is so huge that you can't take any other classes or take them out of sequence.

But in general, you should be able to take physics for fun.

The problem, of course, is the prerequisites. The "advanced" courses might well have prerequisites you have not taken and/or cannot fit into your schedule.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem, of course, is the prerequisites. The "advanced" courses might well have prerequisites you have not taken and/or cannot fit into your schedule.
Yes. As an EE major, it was relatively easy for me to take physics classes on the side because I had more or less satisfied the prerequisites through my own major. It may be more difficult for you as an ME.

1. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, most universities and colleges allow students to take classes outside of their major as long as they meet the prerequisites and have space in their schedule. These classes are typically referred to as electives and can be a great way to explore different subjects and broaden your knowledge.

2. How many classes can I take that aren't part of my major?

The number of classes you can take outside of your major depends on your specific university or college's policies. Some may have a limit on the number of electives you can take, while others may allow you to take as many as you want as long as you fulfill your major requirements. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the exact number of electives you can take.

3. Do these classes count towards my degree?

Yes, most universities and colleges will count classes taken outside of your major towards your degree, as long as they are approved by your academic advisor and fulfill any general education requirements. However, it is important to check with your advisor to make sure the class will count towards your degree.

4. Will taking classes outside of my major affect my GPA?

Yes, just like any other class, the grades you receive in classes outside of your major will affect your GPA. It is important to take these classes seriously and put in the effort to do well, as they can impact your overall GPA.

5. Can I change my major if I take classes outside of it?

Yes, taking classes outside of your major can actually help you determine if you want to switch to a different major. These classes can provide you with a better understanding of other subjects and may help you discover a new passion. If you do decide to change your major, the classes you have taken outside of it may still count towards your degree, depending on the new major's requirements.