Will I get admission into the University of Denver?

In summary, an Indian student studying in class 12th is seeking admission in UG courses for BS PHYSICS and BS MATHS at the University of Denver. The student has mailed a query about admission, and was informed that students with more than 90% in their academic exams will be considered for the admission process. The student is unsure if their score will be sufficient and is worried about being rejected due to lack of extracurriculars. They are seeking advice on their chances of admission and have also applied to other universities.
Adesh
I’m an Indian student studying in class 12th and I need admission in UG courses (BS PHYSICS, BS MATHS) and I want University of Denver.
I mailed my query about admission sort listing and they replied they would consider students for admission process if they get more than 90% in their academic exams. I hope that my score will be sufficient for sort listing but I’m suspicious that they would reject me on some other basis. I’m a student who is not good in extracurriculars.
What’s your assumption regarding my admission in DU? Is there any probability that I will get admission there?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have completely thought this through.

University of Denver has your complete application. We don't. Even if we knew exactly what they would do with a given application - and we don't - we don't have the informat6ion the do.

Suppose we told you "yes, they will accept you" and they don't. Or we say "no, they won't accept you" and they do? Why do you want advice from some strangers on the internet, advice that might well end up being wrong?

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think you have completely thought this through.

University of Denver has your complete application. We don't. Even if we knew exactly what they would do with a given application - and we don't - we don't have the informat6ion the do.

Suppose we told you "yes, they will accept you" and they don't. Or we say "no, they won't accept you" and they do? Why do you want advice from some strangers on the internet, advice that might well end up being wrong?
You have a good point but more an student who scores more than 90% but below 95% what’s your own view? I just want your own view doesn’t matter right or wrong. By the way, my marks are particularly fine in Maths, Physics and English but relatively low in Chemistry and Hindi.

The US is not India. The admissions process in the US doesn't work like that. That's why I wrote what I did.

Vanadium 50 said:
The US is not India. The admissions process in the US doesn't work like that. That's why I wrote what I did.
So what they do in US? What do they generally focus on? In India they just see your marks.

Adesh said:
So what they do in US? What do they generally focus on? In India they just see your marks.
While I don't have a good knowledge on American universities, there are chances that their basis of evaluating foreign students will be different from their way of evaluating home students. And maybe marks would not be the only criteria. Marks are just some numbers. Just like failing an exam doesn't mean one is good for nothing, neither do high marks mean that the student knows everything.

Other members here might be able to give you some idea of the admission system that they've been through, but don't get surprised if things don't work out as said here. I echo what @Vanadium 50 has said.

In my school, every year, several foreign universities visit and tell us about their curriculum. I was never interested, so I didn't pay much heed. But I know that the US embassy in India has a branch to help students who are interested in studying in the US. You can send a mail to the US embassy in New Delhi and see what they say. They should be able to give you more details.

Wrichik Basu said:
While I don't have a good knowledge on American universities, there are chances that their basis of evaluating foreign students will be different from their way of evaluating home students. And maybe marks would not be the only criteria. Marks are just some numbers. Just like failing an exam doesn't mean one is good for nothing, neither do high marks mean that the student knows everything.

Other members here might be able to give you some idea of the admission system that they've been through, but don't get surprised if things don't work out as said here. I echo what @Vanadium 50 has said.

In my school, every year, several foreign universities visit and tell us about their curriculum. I was never interested, so I didn't pay much heed. But I know that the US embassy in India has a branch to help students who are interested in studying in the US. You can send a mail to the US embassy in New Delhi and see what they say. They should be able to give you more details.
Thank you for your help.

Adesh said:
I want University of Denver.
Can you say why you like them especially? Is there some major or research effort there that is unique?

What other universities have you applied to? Have you heard back from any of them yet?

Likes Wrichik Basu
I just did a Google search on the University of Denver to have a look and as I was typing in the Google window, it showed me a suggested search on "university of denver acceptance rate". Clicking into that link seems to show a pretty high acceptance rate, but I don't know if that includes both foreign and domestic students or not...

upload_2019-1-9_12-27-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-9_12-27-56.png
    upload_2019-1-9_12-27-56.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 442
As @berkeman wrote in post #8 about other universities, I was reminded of something that I forgot to say to the OP:

Hope you have a backup plan. Life is not always what you think it should be. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. In an unlikely circumstance, it may happen that you are accepted in the University and suddenly the visa rules change, and you are denied a visa. I sincerely hope that nothing like that will happen, but having a backup is a good option.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you say why you like them especially? Is there some major or research effort there that is unique?

What other universities have you applied to? Have you heard back from any of them yet?
Well the reason I want it is that it’s a good universitiy into which there are some possibilities of my admission other in some other good universities there are no chances to get into.

Wrichik Basu said:
As @berkeman wrote in post #8 about other universities, I was reminded of something that I forgot to say to the OP:

Hope you have a backup plan. Life is not always what you think it should be. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. In an unlikely circumstance, it may happen that you are accepted in the University and suddenly the visa rules change, and you are denied a visa. I sincerely hope that nothing like that will happen, but having a backup is a good option.
As you said earlier, should I ask US embassy? Can you help one more time by telling how should I ask my question?

Adesh said:
As you said earlier, should I ask US embassy? Can you help one more time by telling how should I ask my question?
First, I would like to caution you that there are several non-governmental agencies that promise you help in exchange of money. Please do not get into any of those, because there have been instances of fraud. It has happened that people's visa and passport were taken away by these agents when they reached the other country. Please proceed with caution.

Coming back to the topic, you can send an email to the embassy, but again I cannot assure you (actually none of us can) that you will get help.

What you can do is, first, you send another mail to the university, and politely ask them the questions you have. If they don't answer you satisfactorily, then you may proceed to contact the embassy.

To the embassy, you can write that you wish to study in the US in so-and-so university. You want to know how admission is done for Indian students in the US, and also mention that their help with be greatly beneficial for you.

I checked online, and found that US embassy has opened a branch called EducationUSA. But I am not sure whether it is a legitimate site. (Can anyone here confirm that the US government has started this?)

Lastly, I shall repeat that please proceed with caution. I cannot help more than this, because I don't have a lot of idea about US admissions.

Likes phinds
Nobody but the University of Denver can tell you if you are getting into the University of Denver. That includes embassies.

Adesh said:

In the US, many public schools tend to artificially inflate high school grades through grade gifting (gifting unearned grades), so that at selective universities, bad grades may prevent admissions, but good grades are no guarantee. If the grades meet a certain minimum, then the ACT (or SAT scores) become the more important factor. Other factors such as high school class difficulty, recommendation letters, other accomplishments, and intended major can also play a role.

Most schools admissions pages can give you an idea what factors are considered and which are more important. There are also some outside web sites that can assess probabilities for admission to a certain school with a certain GPA and ACT (or SAT) score. Of course these are estimates.

After a Mentor discussion, we will be closing this thread. The OP has been given good advice, and there is no way we can figure out what their chances of admission are.

To @Adesh -- Best of luck in your studies, and hopefully you do get into UD or another school that you will enjoy. :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Will my grades determine my admission into the University of Denver?

Grades are an important factor in the admission process, but they are not the only factor. The University of Denver also considers extracurricular activities, essays, letters of recommendation, and other personal qualities.

2. How competitive is the admission process at the University of Denver?

The admission process at the University of Denver is highly competitive. The university receives a large number of applications each year and only accepts a limited number of students. It is important to have a strong academic record and showcase your unique qualities and experiences in your application.

3. What are the minimum requirements for admission into the University of Denver?

The minimum requirements for admission into the University of Denver vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, applicants should have a strong academic record, a competitive GPA, and a good score on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT.

4. Are there any specific requirements for international students applying to the University of Denver?

International students must meet the same requirements as domestic students, but they may also need to provide additional documents such as proof of English proficiency and a copy of their passport. It is important to carefully review the university's international admission requirements before applying.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting admission into the University of Denver?

To increase your chances of getting admission into the University of Denver, it is important to have a strong academic record, participate in extracurricular activities, and showcase your unique qualities and experiences in your application. Additionally, you can visit the university, connect with current students or alumni, and make sure to submit your application before the deadline.