Will I hit an intellectual wall with math?

• Thread starter darkknight12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of hitting an "intellectual wall" in the fields of math and computer science. The participants agree that everyone will eventually reach a point where they struggle, but hard work and determination can help overcome these challenges. They also discuss the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that comes from overcoming these walls, and one participant shares a humorous analogy of a "cliff" rather than a "wall" in math.
darkknight12
Will I hit an "intellectual wall" with math?

Every so briefly, for one semester, I was a math major in college. I got lazy and wussed out and graduated with a liberal arts degree.

7 years later I'm feeling pretty dissatisfied with my career and long term job prospects. Seems like quantitative fields have better prospects. That combined with the feeling of personal challenge from a sense that I didn't adquately challenge myself back in college has me thinking of doing either a Masters in Statistics or a 2nd BS or MS in Comp Sci.

And I'm starting basically from scratch, probably will take math courses at a community college first to do prereqs.

That being said, the biggest fear I had back in college is something I still have. If you study something like math or comp sci, is there a point you hit an intellectual wall, where simply if you aren't smart enough, you just can't get the material and you won't pass the class? Or is hard work more of the determining factor?

I was a fairly solid math student in HS and did ok in the intro calculus classes in college (Bs) but I was never the math whiz that was taking calculus in middle school or anything like that.

Physics news on Phys.org

In math and science, you will hit a wall sooner or later. Everybody does. If you hit a wall, you'll need to put in a lot of work, talk to a lot of people and read a lot of explanations. That way, you should be able to understand the subject.

Don't letting "hitting a wall" discourage you. Everybody hits walls, but it's the way you deal with it that's important. If you do the right things (i.e. work hard), you can overcome the walls and gaining new knowledge.

In fact, hitting walls and overcoming them is the fun thing about math. :smile:

I agree with micromass. You will hit a wall or sometimes, or even a ceiling. One time when I got frustrated with my real analysis course, and I asked my adviser whether I hit the maximum of my mathematical potential. And he answered "yes, but more like a local maximum." (BTW, I did not quit math there, and now I am going to be a grad student in math.)

PieceOfPi said:
I agree with micromass. You will hit a wall or sometimes, or even a ceiling. One time when I got frustrated with my real analysis course, and I asked my adviser whether I hit the maximum of my mathematical potential. And he answered "yes, but more like a local maximum." (BTW, I did not quit math there, and now I am going to be a grad student in math.)

Haha, only a math professor would say that.

micromass said:
In math and science, you will hit a wall sooner or later. Everybody does. If you hit a wall, you'll need to put in a lot of work, talk to a lot of people and read a lot of explanations. That way, you should be able to understand the subject.

Don't letting "hitting a wall" discourage you. Everybody hits walls, but it's the way you deal with it that's important. If you do the right things (i.e. work hard), you can overcome the walls and gaining new knowledge.

In fact, hitting walls and overcoming them is the fun thing about math. :smile:

The great thing is when you get over the wall, or at the very least, climb up high enough to see over it: it's a great feeling no matter how insignificant you may think it is or how complex other people may think of it.

This kind of advice needs to be a sticky post.

DrummingAtom said:
Haha, only a math professor would say that.
Yeah, that reply is just awesome :biggrin:

Ryker said:
Yeah, that reply is just awesome :biggrin:

I think so too :wink: I now realize that I just happened to be a bad neighborhood where my point happened to be a maximum, and it took some work to walk away from that neighborhood.

(Of course, local max can be a global max, but most people probably won't reach there anyway...)

I prefer to think of it as a "cliff" rather than a "wall":

[PLAIN]http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/WHUC8TU5751Ue3HpHAQmtg587857/GW430

(from New Yorker magazine)

Last edited by a moderator:

darkknight12 said:
Every so briefly, for one semester, I was a math major in college. I got lazy and wussed out and graduated with a liberal arts degree.
This is peculiar. In most colleges, mathematics is a liberal arts degree. What was your degree in?

7 years later I'm feeling pretty dissatisfied with my career and long term job prospects. Seems like quantitative fields have better prospects. That combined with the feeling of personal challenge from a sense that I didn't adquately challenge myself back in college has me thinking of doing either a Masters in Statistics or a 2nd BS or MS in Comp Sci.

And I'm starting basically from scratch, probably will take math courses at a community college first to do prereqs.

That being said, the biggest fear I had back in college is something I still have. If you study something like math or comp sci, is there a point you hit an intellectual wall, where simply if you aren't smart enough, you just can't get the material and you won't pass the class? Or is hard work more of the determining factor?

I was a fairly solid math student in HS and did ok in the intro calculus classes in college (Bs) but I was never the math whiz that was taking calculus in middle school or anything like that.

What is an "intellectual wall" in math?

An "intellectual wall" in math refers to a point where a person feels stuck or unable to progress in their understanding or problem-solving abilities in the subject.

Why do some people hit an intellectual wall with math?

There can be several reasons why someone may hit an intellectual wall with math. It could be due to a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, difficulty in grasping abstract concepts, or lack of practice and exposure to different types of problems.

How can I overcome an intellectual wall in math?

To overcome an intellectual wall in math, it is important to identify the root cause of the problem. This could involve seeking help from a teacher or tutor, reviewing basic concepts, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to approach problems from different angles and try to understand the underlying principles.

Is hitting an intellectual wall in math a sign of low intelligence?

No, hitting an intellectual wall in math does not necessarily mean that a person is not intelligent. Math can be a challenging subject for many people, and it takes time and effort to develop a strong understanding and problem-solving skills.

Can hitting an intellectual wall in math be beneficial?

While hitting an intellectual wall in math can be frustrating, it can also be a learning opportunity. It can help a person identify their weaknesses and work on improving them. It can also build resilience and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many areas of life.