Will my past keep me from getting into a top PhD program?

In summary, the individual has already received a bachelor's degree in Political Science but is now pursuing a B.S. in Physics with the goal of getting into a top PhD program. They are concerned about their previous 2.9 GPA in their first degree, but it is unlikely to affect their chances as long as they excel in their physics courses and research. Admission committees focus on the relevant coursework and potential for research in the field, not past grades in unrelated subjects. Inspiration is provided by the example of Edward Witten, who also did not have a background in physics but still achieved success in the field.
carboy79
I've already received a bachelor's degree in Political Science. I wanted to do something science related but nearly failed out freshman year for slacking off and getting awful grades. Thus I was forced to choose a different path and although my grades picked up after that, I ended up graduating with a 2.9 GPA and a BA in Poly Sci.

However, now I am going to go back to receive a B.s. in Physics and I'd like to end up at a top PhD program. Assuming I get great grades in my physics courses, do well on the gre, and have good research, etc... will my earlier record of a 2.9 GPA hold me back from being admitted to a top program (mit, harvard, stanford... the usuals)? Or will these programs view it as irrelevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that they'll be more concerned with what you can show for yourself with respect to PHYSICS. If you do well, I personally wouldn't worry about it..
Here some inspiration though: If you don't know who Edward Witten is supposed to be :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten
"He received his bachelor's degree in history (with a minor in linguistics) from Brandeis University. "
Not to say that this really means very much, it's a psychological thing.. seeing how the past of others (no matter how superficial) provided no hindrance to their goals

wisvuze said:
I suppose that they'll be more concerned with what you can show for yourself with respect to PHYSICS. If you do well, I personally wouldn't worry about it..
Here some inspiration though: If you don't know who Edward Witten is supposed to be :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten
"He received his bachelor's degree in history (with a minor in linguistics) from Brandeis University. "
Not to say that this really means very much, it's a psychological thing.. seeing how the past of others (no matter how superficial) provided no hindrance to their goals

Yes this is true, unfortunately I think Edward Witten just possibly, maybe, perhaps may be a tiny tiny tiny bit smarter then me haha.

I also tend to doubt that Edward Witten graduated with a 2.9 GPA.

But anyway, as long as you are doing much better in your physics program, the low GPA from your earlier degree shouldn't affect your chances. Admission committies are well-aware that people can change for the better.

If you apply to graduate school for Physics they will look at your coursework in Physics and your potential to do research in Physics. So PoliSci does not matter.

1. How much does my undergraduate GPA affect my chances of getting into a top PhD program?

The impact of your undergraduate GPA on your chances of getting into a top PhD program can vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, a high GPA can be a significant factor in the admissions process, as it demonstrates your academic abilities and potential for success in a rigorous PhD program. However, a lower GPA can sometimes be offset by other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement.

2. Will a few bad grades or a rough semester in my undergraduate studies ruin my chances of getting into a top PhD program?

Admissions committees understand that students may have a few bad grades or a rough semester during their undergraduate studies. It is important to address any issues or challenges you faced in your application, and explain how you overcame them and what you learned from the experience. Additionally, showcasing strong performance in other areas such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement can help mitigate the impact of a few bad grades.

3. How much weight do admissions committees place on letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the admissions process for top PhD programs. They provide insights into your academic abilities, research potential, and character from individuals who have worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and potential for success in a PhD program. Admissions committees typically value letters of recommendation from professors, researchers, and mentors in your field of study.

4. Can strong research experience compensate for a lower GPA in my undergraduate studies?

In some cases, strong research experience can compensate for a lower GPA in your undergraduate studies. Admissions committees are often interested in applicants who have demonstrated a passion for research and have the potential to make significant contributions to their field of study. Your research experience can showcase your skills, knowledge, and potential for success in a PhD program. However, it is important to have a well-rounded application and address any weaknesses such as a lower GPA in your personal statement.

5. Will my past mistakes or personal challenges hinder my chances of getting into a top PhD program?

Admissions committees understand that applicants may have faced personal challenges or made mistakes in the past. It is important to address these issues in your application and explain how you have grown and learned from them. Additionally, highlighting your strengths, research experience, and potential for success in a PhD program can help mitigate the impact of any past challenges or mistakes. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded applicants who have the potential to make significant contributions to their field of study.