Will taking a gap year during my degree hurt much?

In summary: No, it's not a big no-no. It's just that it's less likely that someone will be convinced that you're dedicated to a career in that area if you've taken a break in your academic progress. But it's still possible to get into graduate school even if you've taken a break. In summary, taking a gap year during the progress of your degree is not a bad thing. Most people are at a great, independent stage of their lives once they finish undergrad and it's a good idea to take advantage of that. People will likely be interested in what you've done with your "off" time though, so it's a good idea to explain it in your personal statement.
bluenrol
Hi,

I'm going into my junior year and I was thinking of taking a gap year to do something entirely different than Physics.

Do grad schools look down on people who took a gap year during the progress of their degree? Will they require you to explain what happened during that year?

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Who knows? You are asking us to read the committee's mind. It's probably wise to explain it so they don't jump to conclusions like "prison".

Vanadium 50 said:
Who knows? You are asking us to read the committee's mind. It's probably wise to explain it so they don't jump to conclusions like "prison".
Or maybe put it this way, have you ever met someone that did so and was still able of going on to grad school?

Vanadium 50 said:

Some of the members of this board were or are committee members. It's a fair question to ask of them.

Yes, but there's no way to get in the head of any particular committee member. Especially if the OP doesn't say what the gap year will be spent on.

bluenrol said:
Hi,

I'm going into my junior year and I was thinking of taking a gap year to do something entirely different than Physics.

Do grad schools look down on people who took a gap year during the progress of their degree? Will they require you to explain what happened during that year?

Thanks! :smile:

In general I don't think taking a year off will affect your chances of admission (negative or positive) all that much. Even if you're travelling, or working to save some money, or volunteering, or doing a military tour, it's all fine. Most people are at a great, independent stage of their lives once they finish undergrad and it's a good idea to take advantage fo that. Sometimes they can also use that time to make sure that graduate school is really the right path for themselves.

Taking more than about 2 years off though, particularly without doing anything relevant in the field, may bring up some concerns about "rust." Lots of people get into graduate school with large gaps, some even greater than 10 years. So even that isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

People will likely be interested in what you've done with your "off" time though, so it's a good idea to explain it in your personal statement, for example.

I was planning to go and try med school for a year to see whether it's my thing and also because of the insecurity of a career in Physics...
But in case I decide that I really can't live without Physics, then I'll come back to it...just wanted to make sure this is still going to be an option..

Is changing subjects back and forth a big no-no? (lack of dedication?)

Last edited:

1. What is a gap year and how does it affect my degree?

A gap year is a break from academic studies, usually lasting for a year, that allows students to gain experience or pursue personal interests before returning to their degree program. It can affect your degree in both positive and negative ways, depending on how you use your time during the gap year.

2. Will taking a gap year delay my graduation?

Yes, taking a gap year will delay your graduation by one year. However, this can also provide you with valuable experiences and skills that can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive job candidate after graduation.

3. How will taking a gap year impact my academic progress?

Taking a gap year may affect your academic progress if you do not plan ahead and make sure to complete all necessary requirements before taking the break. However, many students find that the break from academic pressure allows them to return to their studies with renewed focus and motivation.

4. Will a gap year hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

It is unlikely that taking a gap year will significantly hurt your chances of getting into graduate school. In fact, if you use your gap year wisely, it can make you a stronger and more well-rounded candidate. Just make sure to explain your gap year experience in your application and highlight any relevant skills or experiences you gained.

5. How can I make the most of my gap year without negatively impacting my degree?

To make the most of your gap year without negatively impacting your degree, it is important to create a plan and set goals for your time off. This can include gaining work experience, volunteering, traveling, or pursuing personal interests. It is also important to stay in touch with your academic advisor and make sure you are on track to meet all degree requirements upon your return.