Will the Magnet Stick to the Car or Fall to the Ground?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AirForceOne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
AirForceOne
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A person throws out the back of a car a strong magnet that is attracted to the metal of the car. Will the magnet return and stick to the back of the car or fall to the ground? The initial velocity of the magnet is v=sqrt(5)i m/s. Treat the magnet/car interaction as an acceleration that act on the magnet equal to -a_mi, where a_m=10m/s^2 and L=1m. If the magnet hits the car at a point more than L below its starting height, it will encounter the plastic bumper and thus fail to stick.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I modeled the magnet's position then its acceleration, and then its position, getting:

ApmXW.jpg
However, I got y=1 for the magnet for all times t, which is not correct. If I understand correctly, the acceleration vector should be:

EL72R.jpg


right?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the following look like a good start to solving the problem?
 
Attachments
  • magnet012.jpg
    magnet012.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 505
Spinnor's diagram is very helpful. Hint: Where is the Vx=0 and at what time does that occur
 
Thank you very much everyone. I understand it now.