Will the Sun end as a Type 1a supernova?

In summary: Since the source material for this thread is very sub-standard (not the OP's fault), this thread is closed.
swampwiz
Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
but this figure at Wikipedia says it will go supernova.

It most certainly does not.

First of all, extrapolating conclusions from a general image is never a good idea.
(Btw even the image is not telling you what you think it's telling you: it says a sun-like star not Sun)

Second, it literally took me less than 1 min to find these two links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#After_core_hydrogen_exhaustion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Ia_supernova

Isn't it a better practice to take a few minutes to research something, than to quickly open a thread and then spend a couple of hours waiting for a response?

Likes BillTre, phinds, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Motore said:
First of all, extrapolating conclusions from a general image is never a good idea.
(Btw even the image is not telling you what you think it's telling you: it says a sun-like star not Sun)

Second, it literally took me less than 1 min to find these two links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#After_core_hydrogen_exhaustion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Ia_supernova

Isn't it a better practice to take a few minutes to research something, than to quickly open a thread and then spend a couple of hours waiting for a response?
I had read before that the Sun will not go supernova, but only asked the question because this figure says otherwise (which is what I had mentioned in the original posting). Are you trying to say that the figure is incorrect? Or perhaps the Sun is very close to being large enough to go supernova, but will barely not, etc.? Perhaps the Sun has a very non-normal composition of metals so that it will not go supernova, but that typical stars of the Sun's size do go supernova? I would hope that the confusion is appreciated here.

swampwiz said:
I had read before that the Sun will not go supernova, but only asked the question because this figure says otherwise (which is what I had mentioned in the original posting). Are you trying to say that the figure is incorrect?
They are saying you are misinterpreting the figure. In fairness, it's not a great graphic.

Likes Motore
swampwiz said:
I had read before that the Sun will not go supernova, but only asked the question because this figure says otherwise (which is what I had mentioned in the original posting). Are you trying to say that the figure is incorrect? Or perhaps the Sun is very close to being large enough to go supernova, but will barely not, etc.? Perhaps the Sun has a very non-normal composition of metals so that it will not go supernova, but that typical stars of the Sun's size do go supernova? I would hope that the confusion is appreciated here.
For a Type 1A supernova, you need to have at least a binary star system. The white dwarf accretes matter from the other star until it builds up enough mass to trigger the supernova.
So for a Sun like star to ever produce a type 1A supernova, it has to have a companion star.

Likes swampwiz and Bandersnatch
The picture is utterly confusing. It does not indicate evolution, just lists cases.

swampwiz said:
I had read before that the Sun will not go supernova, but only asked the question because this figure says otherwise

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. This is your interpretation, not anything in the picture - which is illustrating another point entirely.

russ_watters said:
They are saying you are misinterpreting the figure. In fairness, it's not a great graphic.
mathman said:
The picture is utterly confusing. It does not indicate evolution, just lists cases.
Since the source material for this thread is very sub-standard (not the OP's fault), this thread is closed.
@swampwiz -- Please use the links posted by @Motore to answer your question. Thanks.
Motore said:

I know this is locked, but to be more specific; the graphic appears to have a dashed line between the White Dwarf and 1a supernova, like this: ////// That, to me, says "maybe".

Likes swampwiz, Motore and DaveC426913

1. What is a Type 1a supernova?

A Type 1a supernova is a type of stellar explosion that occurs in a binary star system, where one star is a white dwarf and the other is a main sequence star. The white dwarf accretes material from its companion star until it reaches a critical mass, causing a thermonuclear explosion that destroys the white dwarf.

2. Will the Sun eventually become a Type 1a supernova?

No, the Sun does not have a companion star and therefore cannot undergo a Type 1a supernova. However, it will eventually expand into a red giant and then shed its outer layers, leaving behind a white dwarf.

3. When will the Sun end as a Type 1a supernova?

It is estimated that the Sun has about 5 billion years left before it reaches the end of its life cycle. At this point, it will not become a Type 1a supernova, but will instead become a white dwarf.

4. What will happen to Earth when the Sun ends as a Type 1a supernova?

If the Sun were to become a Type 1a supernova, it would release an enormous amount of energy and radiation, potentially destroying all life on Earth. However, as mentioned earlier, the Sun will not become a Type 1a supernova.

5. How do scientists study Type 1a supernovas?

Scientists study Type 1a supernovas by observing them through telescopes and analyzing the light emitted during the explosion. They also use computer simulations to better understand the physics behind these events. Additionally, they study the remnants of past Type 1a supernovas to learn more about their properties and the conditions that lead to their explosions.