Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

William F. Buckley Jr., my hero, dead at 82

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

RIP Bill, and my condolensces to his family and friends.

I enjoyed listening to Bill Buckley, even if I didn't agree with him.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

He will be missed. Though I would disagree with him on many issues, I always enjoyed hearing the rationale behind his views. Much more refreshing than listening to some faux "conservatives" who define their views as "patriotic" and "American" while denigrating people who disagree with them. Buckley had some refreshingly Libertarian views on some subjects that self-proclaimed conservatives would hate.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Yeah, he was a great first baseman for the Dodgers.

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He is often referred to as the father of Conservatism...and he was brilliant! We didn't agree on everything but we did agree on most issues. And he certainly changed my mind many times. The man's logic was impeccable. He also had the most extensive vocabulary of anyone that I've seen. When he died, 10% of the English language may have died with him.

In recent years it was sad to hear him talk about his life. He was pretty much just waiting to die.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. Feb 27, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Buckley was smart, logical, and very persuasive. He was a part of my life for about the last 45 years, when my parents started subscribing to the regional newspaper that carried his columns. Like I said, I often found fault with his positions over the years, but I greatly appreciated his willingness to lay out the details of his reasoning and the motivations that underlaid his positions. Nowadays, the "conservative" movement seems to be dominated by didactic, knee-jerk idiots who wouldn't be fit to polish Buckley's shoes.

Disclaimer: The Democratic/"Progressive" side of US politics is dominated by hacks that are not that far removed from the self-proclaimed "conservatives" that Buckley derided. Do you want Pepsi or Coke? Would you like to read Time or Newsweek? Our 2-party system is a stinking joke.

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny because you and I seem to agree on most political issues, and AFAIK Buckley and I agreed far more than not.

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Well, I came out of a very poor family of French-Canadian immigrants that ended up in Maine because work was available during the Depression. Being Catholic, my family ended up with large families (that did not fit well with the non-agrarian tradition vs the heavily agrarian tradition that they came from back in Canada) and it was a definite liability when a father took on mill-work and tried to sustain an entire family on hourly wages. I tried to help out as much as I could by fishing, hunting, gathering berries, etc, and my dad and I spent weeks of evenings every spring picking pecks of fiddleheads (immature ostrich ferns) so that we would have a reliable source of vegetables over the winter. We'd pick them and sit together with my mother cleaning them every night, and the next day she'd blanch them and pack 'em in bags and stack them in our chest freezer. We ate fiddleheads several times a week all winter long - they kept us going.

I'm a conservative by my upbringing. The neocons who claim to be conservatives are radicals who want to confer the rights of citizens onto companies and businesses who have no standing in constitutional law. They are corrupt and they are thieves.

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does this relate to our political views? I am a German, Swedish, Finnish, English, native American X Catholic who grew up in S California.

oh yes, a little Swiss I think... as a child Grandpa spoke suissedeutch.

12. Feb 27, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know, Ivan, but you and I and Astronuc seemed to have converged on some common ground on energy, politics, and foreign relations without planning a bit of it.

13. Feb 27, 2008 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Very ironic - he was also my boss's hero and my boss is to the right of Rush Limbaugh! To see him also being the hero of people so far left makes him a real enigma to me.

14. Feb 28, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been telling you from day one that I'm a conservative. The problem is that neocons are not conservatives. The entire face of conservatism changed with this notion and WFB would be the first to agree. He despised the Bush admin and I'm quite sure that he thought even less of Rush.

A true conservative would never support someone like Bush. And contempt for a criminal does not equate to liberalism or the "far left".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  15. Feb 28, 2008 #14
    I was watching a clip of him and Noam Chomsky on google a while back, but Noam seemed to be more to the point while Buckley came off as arrogant and not wanting to listen to Noam. All in all, it was fun to watch though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Feb 28, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

It's very difficult to get this concept across to some people. I am far more conservative than most Republicans on issues like foreign affairs, economics, etc. The neo-cons are not conservative - they are radicals that are out to loot our treasury and push the agendas of their corporate handlers. We could use some real conservatives in high public office. Certainly a real conservative would not have started an unnecessary war based on lies and made-up intelligence, and stretched our military capabilities to the breaking point. Any president of either party would be wise to include a conservative of Buckley's ilk in their top tier of advisers.

17. Feb 28, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Buckley arrogant? Never! :rofl:

18. Feb 28, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some people are not interested in the facts, which is why we got Bush.

19. Feb 29, 2008 #18

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An online archive of Buckley's articles and Firing Line. Buckley was very friendly with Rush and characterized Rush-bashing and attacks on O'Reilly as a 'polemical device'.
    To whom did Buckley turn when asked to help arrange a tribute in Washington's RFK stadium to honor Ronald Reagan? T'was Rush... of course. http://cumulus.hillsdale.edu:8080/b...f_1153700157_buckley/ReaganLittleMemories.pdf

20. Feb 29, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, dunno about that, but Rush helped bring us Bush, and Buckley despised Bush and neocons. Of course Rush has finally realized that he supported a liar and idiot.

From The News Hour tonight.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white_house/jan-june08/sbtxoh_02-29.html

21. Mar 2, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, I would rather be governed by the first 2,000 people in the Boston telephone directory than by the 2,000 people on the faculty of Harvard University.
    - WFB

This statement is somewhat paradoxical given that Buckley is credited with bringing intellectualism to conservatism. But he truly believed that there is greater wisdom in the average voter than in the average politician, so perhaps he viewed the faculty at Harvard as a political body rather than an academic one. :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?