Wind-drag on sock and carpet , which one flies the furthest?

• Thread starter Fabric
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the wind-drag on a sock and a carpet and which one would fly the furthest. The group debated the principles of inertia and density and how they would affect the flight of each object. One person argued that the carpet, with its larger surface area, would fly farther initially but the sock, being lighter and smaller, would have a slower fall due to its reduced mass and weight. The conversation also touched on the idea of a paddling pool filled with water and trying to lift it, and how the shifting water affects the center of gravity.
Fabric
Wind-drag on "sock" and "carpet", which one flies the furthest?

Hello everyone,

A few days ago, I was like many others lying on a beach, enjoying the weather, when suddenly a force of wind let fly both a carpet and my socks, lying next to me. I get up and rush for the socks, which in the blink of an eye had covered something like 5 meters, grabs them and turns around to find that the carpet luckily had hit some bloke on the beach and wrapped itself around his legs. Still, I hear my friend yelling at me, "Get the carpet! damn it!".

When I get back, with the carpet and the socks, he is furious with me, and tells me that I should have gone for the carpet, before the socks.

A few curses later, it has turned into a physics subject, about whether the socks would fly further than the carpet, given the same rush of wind (or air force).

We talk about inertia and density, and he compares the carpet to a "sail" on a ship, and tells me it is the same principle, and that no sock could have carried a ship with same speed (and hence distance in the span of the wind-strike)

Now in all modesty, being an autodidact physics "dummy" (for now) I think that the wind would not
carry it far, because the majority of the air molecules, carrying the carpet would frequently shift from surface area to surface area and hence the carpet would undergo a non-stable flight and eventually crash, just like filling a paddling pool with water and trying to lift it, the water will shift from side to side and the center of gravity will change, making the paddling pool itself shift and take on form depending on the movement of the water.

The sock however, being lighter and smaller will get carried far.

Anyway, I am very interested in hearing your opinion on this subject. Even if it seems awfully trivial, I would greatly appreciate some explanation involving the forces and inertia etc :)

Thanks in advance,
Fabric

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you did not consider is that the carpet probably has a much greater surface area, which linearly effects your total generated lift.

In short I believe the carpet will fly farther with an initial burst of lift due to its much greater surface area (assuming the carpet isn't too much heavier than the sock). However, the sock will fall from the sky slower because of its reduced mass and significantly lower weight The latter corresponds to a smaller terminal velocity.

1. What is wind-drag and how does it affect objects like socks and carpets?

Wind-drag is a force that is exerted on objects by the air or wind. It is caused by air resistance and friction, and it can affect the movement and speed of objects as they pass through the air. In the case of socks and carpets, wind-drag can cause them to slow down or change direction when they are thrown or dropped.

2. Which object, a sock or a carpet, experiences more wind-drag?

In general, a carpet will experience more wind-drag than a sock. This is because carpets have a larger surface area compared to socks, which makes them more susceptible to the force of wind-drag. Additionally, the texture and weight of a carpet can also contribute to its overall wind-drag.

3. Do different types of socks or carpets experience different levels of wind-drag?

Yes, the type of material, texture, and size of a sock or carpet can affect the amount of wind-drag it experiences. For example, a thicker and heavier sock may experience more wind-drag than a thin and lightweight sock. Similarly, a shaggy and fluffy carpet may experience more wind-drag compared to a flat and smooth carpet.

4. Can wind-drag affect the distance that a sock or carpet can travel when thrown?

Yes, wind-drag can have a significant impact on the distance that a sock or carpet can travel when thrown. Strong wind resistance can slow down or even reverse the direction of a thrown object, causing it to travel a shorter distance. On the other hand, minimal wind-drag can allow the object to travel further.

5. Is there a way to reduce the wind-drag on socks and carpets?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the wind-drag on socks and carpets. One way is to make the object more aerodynamic by reducing its surface area or streamlining its shape. Another way is to use materials with less texture or weight. Additionally, throwing the object with more force can also help overcome the force of wind-drag.