Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Turbines and Conic Sections

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    I am working on a project for my precalculus class. They are going to study wind turbines and design a wind turbine blade. I am trying to understand the math behind wind turbines myself. Can I relate wind turbines to a study of conic sections?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Doesn't look likely to me. Why do you think that might be possible? Aerofoils would be nearer the mark.

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    I found a project already developed on a Project Based Learning website. One part of the project is designing a wind turbine blade and the other is studying conic sections. However, it fails to show the connection between the two parts. I liked the project but I need to be able to relate the two for the students.

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actual turbine blades are extraordinarily complex and require considerable computational resources to design. I can't honestly see a way to relate any of it to conic sections, particularly at the precalculus level. Do you have any other details on this other project that might give us more detail on your line of thought here?

6. Mar 11, 2016 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted