How to calculate the torque for a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Brendan Nelson
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
For my senior design project we are designing a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) and trying to increase efficiency by adding flexible parts to the blades. We are currently in the process of ordering a motor/generator where we can test our new model against the same model but with standard blades and compare power generated between the two. I need to first know how to calculate the torque generated by our design, so that I can order an appropriate motor. I have found a good one on amazon but I'm not sure if our small design can produce enough torque to get it spinning. How to I calculate torque produced for a given wind speed of our design?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by calculating the lift and drag forces on your blades. The determine the moment of these forces about the axis of rotation.