How to calculate the torque for a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT)

Finally, use the formula torque = moment * angular speed.In summary, the conversation discusses a senior design project involving a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) and the addition of flexible parts to the blades to increase efficiency. The team is in the process of ordering a motor/generator to test their new model against a standard model and determine the power generated. They need to calculate the torque generated by their design in order to choose an appropriate motor. The suggested method is to calculate the lift and drag forces on the blades, determine the moment of these forces, and use the formula torque = moment * angular speed to calculate the torque for a given wind speed.
Brendan Nelson
For my senior design project we are designing a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) and trying to increase efficiency by adding flexible parts to the blades. We are currently in the process of ordering a motor/generator where we can test our new model against the same model but with standard blades and compare power generated between the two. I need to first know how to calculate the torque generated by our design, so that I can order an appropriate motor. I have found a good one on amazon but I'm not sure if our small design can produce enough torque to get it spinning. How to I calculate torque produced for a given wind speed of our design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start by calculating the lift and drag forces on your blades. The determine the moment of these forces about the axis of rotation.

1. How is torque calculated for a VAWT?

The torque for a VAWT can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the blade by the distance from the center of rotation. This distance is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

2. What factors affect the torque of a VAWT?

The main factors that affect the torque of a VAWT are the wind speed, blade length, and blade angle. Higher wind speeds and longer blades will result in higher torque, while a steeper blade angle will decrease torque.

3. How does the design of a VAWT affect torque?

The design of a VAWT, including the shape and number of blades, can greatly impact the torque produced. A well-designed VAWT will have blades that are able to efficiently capture and convert wind energy into torque.

4. What is the formula for calculating torque in a VAWT?

The formula for calculating torque in a VAWT is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force acting on the blade, and d is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. Can the torque of a VAWT be increased?

Yes, the torque of a VAWT can be increased by optimizing the design and placement of the blades, as well as increasing the wind speed. Regular maintenance and proper alignment of the turbine can also help to improve torque output.