Wire melts because of high current - help

In summary, the wire in this scenario melts in the middle due to the heat generated by the current passing through it. The middle section of the wire is the hottest because it is the furthest away from the plastic posts to which the ends of the wire are attached. The skin effect may also play a role in the heating of the wire, although it is negligible for ordinary wire. The cooling effects of the posts and other factors may also contribute to the melting of the wire. However, the exact cause of the melting may vary depending on the frequency of the current, diameter and material of the wire, and the material of the posts.
complications07

Homework Statement

A wire melts in the middle when the current running through it reaches I(critical) (unless there is a kink in the wire). Discuss why the middle of the wire gets hotter than the ends.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because the 2 pastic posts to which the ends of the wire are connected absorb most of the heat generated by the current passing through the wire? As a result, the hottest part of the wire is the middle section because it is the furthest away from the plastic posts and the wire, therefore, melts and snaps in the middle due to the heat of the current passing through it.

Or does the answer have something more to do with potential and kinetic energy of the molecules?

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the same throughout the wire - so it being in the middle won't have anything to do with it. Remember what current is (by Ohm's law) and remember the formula for Resistance

complications07 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because the 2 pastic posts to which the ends of the wire are connected absorb most of the heat generated by the current passing through the wire? As a result, the hottest part of the wire is the middle section because it is the furthest away from the plastic posts and the wire, therefore, melts and snaps in the middle due to the heat of the current passing through it.

Thx!
I think you are on the right track. The posts may not "absorb most of the heat" but they may cool the wire a bit near the ends. If the ends of the wire are attached to heavier supply wires, they also will conduct some heat away.

I think you'll need to investigate something called "the skin effect".

I assume the question refers to direct current or to common 60Hz alternating current, in which case the skin effect is absolutely negligible for ordinary wire.

I think that there might also be a positive feedback phenomenon present, that assuming this heat sink notion is right, the part that first warms, will have a local rise in temp, increasing resistance there, sort of a thermal runaway effect?

marcusl said:
I assume the question refers to direct current or to common 60Hz alternating current, in which case the skin effect is absolutely negligible for ordinary wire.

True, but we are not given the frequency of current, diameter or gauge of wire or material of wire, so I can only suggest the skin effect without any other information.

Then again, there will be cooling effects of the posts and such.

AndreJ said:
True, but we are not given the frequency of current, diameter or gauge of wire or material of wire, so I can only suggest the skin effect without any other information.
I can't see why the skin effect would have any bearing on this problem.

This has nothing to do with the skin effect. The OP essentially was right, with the only correction being that it's not necessary (though it's possible) that the plastic posts conduct most of the heat generated.

PS: The real "ends" of the wire, must in fact be connected to something else (eg: a power supply) which is likely a better thermal short than the plastic posts.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
I can't see why the skin effect would have any bearing on this problem.

It was merely a suggestion, rather than a definite answer. Since, I was just going to give an idea but not a solution.

I can see how it is irrelevant now, but my original post was just to give a suggestion which may help.

The OP's post has been solved, though. So this conversation is no longer needed.

1. Why does wire melt when there is high current?

Wire melts when there is high current because the high electric current generates heat, causing the wire to reach its melting point. This is known as thermal overload and is a common reason for wire melting.

2. How does high current lead to wire melting?

High current leads to wire melting because as the current passes through the wire, it encounters resistance. This resistance causes the wire to heat up, and if the current is too high, it can exceed the wire's melting point, causing it to melt.

3. Can the type of wire affect its resistance to high current?

Yes, the type of wire can affect its resistance to high current. Different types of wires have different resistances, which can handle different levels of current. Thicker wires, for example, have lower resistance and can handle higher currents without melting.

4. What are some factors that can contribute to high current and wire melting?

Some factors that can contribute to high current and wire melting include using a wire with a lower current rating than the actual current running through it, having a faulty electrical circuit, or using an appliance with a short circuit.

5. How can I prevent wire melting due to high current?

To prevent wire melting due to high current, make sure to use the correct wire for the intended purpose and to not overload the wire with too much current. Regularly check for any faulty circuits or appliances that could contribute to high current. If you notice any signs of overheating, such as a burning smell or discoloration of the wire, turn off the power and consult a professional electrician.