Wireless Charging for electric cars

In summary, a mechatronics engineering student is seeking help to start their project of creating a wireless charging system for electric cars. They are struggling to find resources and are asking for someone to describe the process to them. They have found a website and video that mention achieving 90% efficiency, but are unsure if it is possible and how it would work specifically for electric cars.
Josh_mt
Hi guys,
I am a newbie here and need help to start my project !
I am studying mechatronics engineering and I plan to make a wireless charging system for electric cars. I know that it uses electromagnetic field for transfering energy, but I can't get enough resources to start my project.
Maybe there is one of you that know this well and care to describe it to me.
Any answer would be appreciated !

Thanks ! :smile:

PS : Sorry if there was already another similar topic !

Engineering news on Phys.org
cool link !
It describes the process behind wireless power transmission very well..

But is it different if we want to apply the mechanism for electric cars ?
Because what I'm thinking is to charge the car while it's moving on the road.
I found this link, but it doesn't describe the process well :

http://gas2.org/2009/10/07/wireless-on-road-electric-car-charging-patent-could-be-a-game-changer/

And this is the video ( in German )

http://www.iav.com/de/index.php?we_objectID=15760&pid=227

In the description they said that they could achieve about 90% efficiency.
I wonder if it's possible !

Any idea how this mechanism work for electric cars ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does wireless charging for electric cars work?

Wireless charging for electric cars, also known as inductive charging, uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy from a charging pad on the ground to a receiver on the underside of the car. This energy is then converted into electrical energy to charge the car's battery.

2. Is wireless charging as efficient as traditional charging methods?

While wireless charging for electric cars is still a relatively new technology, it is currently less efficient than traditional plug-in charging methods. However, advancements in technology are constantly being made to improve the efficiency of wireless charging.

3. Can any electric car be charged wirelessly?

Currently, not all electric cars are equipped with the necessary technology to be charged wirelessly. However, many manufacturers are now offering wireless charging as an option for their electric car models.

4. What are the advantages of wireless charging for electric cars?

One of the main advantages of wireless charging for electric cars is convenience. Drivers do not have to physically plug in their car to charge it, making it a more effortless and hands-free process. Wireless charging also eliminates the need for bulky charging cables and can be more aesthetically pleasing.

5. Are there any safety concerns with wireless charging for electric cars?

Wireless charging for electric cars is generally considered to be safe. The technology has built-in safety features, such as automatic shut-off if foreign objects are detected on the charging pad. However, as with any technology, it is important to follow proper usage and safety guidelines to prevent any potential hazards.