Wisconsin labor protests it's like Cairo has moved to Madison these days

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Wisconsin Senate blocked passage of a sweeping anti-union bill Thursday by leaving the state to force Republicans to negotiate over the proposal. The group of Wisconsin lawmakers disappeared from the Capitol hours later, and one of them told The Associated Press that the group had left Wisconsin.

nismaratwork said:
And republicans are joining. Can you recall a governer in WI?
It might be a good time to consider a parliamentary form of government at the state and federal levels, in which a "no confidence" vote can trigger new elections. The US has electoral systems that are time-structured and are highly susceptible to intervention by moneyed interests. What if we had a more representative democracy in which we could turn out politicians that screw up instead of waiting 4-6 years for their terms to expire?

Physics news on Phys.org

Norman said:
Not until they have been in office for a year. So the governor is safe until 2012. Bit there are 8 senators (if memory serves) who could be on the block.

D's, R's, or I?

...And thanks for the info!

turbo-1 said:
It might be a good time to consider a parliamentary form of government at the state and federal levels, in which a "no confidence" vote can trigger new elections. The US has electoral systems that are time-structured and are highly susceptible to intervention by moneyed interests. What if we had a more representative democracy in which we could turn out politicians that screw up instead of waiting 4-6 years for their terms to expire?

Once, I would have argued vociferously against this... now...

Maybe parlimentary paralysis would be better than what we have now. With the SCOTUS decision utterly freeing corporations...

I'm thinking of moving to BC/Vancouver... I love the USA, but it's changing faster than it knows.

nismaratwork said:
And republicans are joining. Can you recall a governer in WI?

Forget the Governor - recall the 14 Congresspersons - if you can find them.:rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:

What is a "moneyed interest" - how much money do unions contribute to elections? Would it be fair for a union to support a candidate - then get special assistance in a crisis?

WhoWee said:
Forget the Governor - recall the 14 Congresspersons - if you can find them.:rolleyes:

Aren't they just representing their constituants? :wink:

I love dirty tactics... everyone uses AND decries them. It practically arouses me.

nismaratwork said:
Aren't they just representing their constituants? :wink:

I love dirty tactics... everyone uses AND decries them. It practically arouses me.

I just want to know who is paying for their "tactics" - transportation, hotel, food, dry cleaning, phones, (they're basically on strike) wages, benefits, entertainment(no assumptions):rolleyes: - them or the taxpayers?

nismaratwork said:
D's, R's, or I?

...And thanks for the info!

Sorry, took me a little bit to remember where I read it. Check out this:http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/19/recall-in-wisconsin/

16 total are eligible. 8 are Republicans. I will be interested to see if there is any pushback on the Dems for ditching also. Should be an interesting year in Wisconsin politics.

I have a few friends who are at the capital. In Wisconsin, all graduate student TAs are part of the union. We actually had a very decent (I wouldn't call it great) health care system. We actually had 3 options, so those of us with families could pay more but get quality coverage.

Latest word is that some of the Republicans are wavering - namely Hooper, Olsen and Schultz. Just rumor, but not that surprising. These guys are going to face one heck of a year.
nismaratwork said:
If your not going to fight dirty, why bother fighting? :-p This is politics. Where might we be if a politician couldn't simultaneously use dirty tactics while lambasting his opponent for doing that exact thing?

I haven't checked back in a while, but has anyone pointed out yet that the liberal protesters are exhibiting some of the same insane extremism we had a whole thread dedicated to for the Tea Party?

Yes, someone posted links to a couple youtube videos of protesters making comparisons of Walker with Hitler, etc.

FrancisZ said:
Perhaps we have different definitions of a pension.

Yes I think we do. Having read your posts a second time, I understand the reasoning.

FrancisZ said:
It really shouldn't be. No one ever said Americans were smart though. Believe me: I've seen statistics that expound us for being stupid, actually. :biggrin:

Yes, I'd have to confess that in my time I have fallen for that stereotype, without actually meeting an American that fits it.

FrancisZ said:
But as long as we're getting out the chopping block and cleaver: I again suggest that we start from the top down. Why doesn't somebody in Wisconsin pull together a portfolio of their elected official's perks and benefits, and see how much fat they could shave off their asses.

Agreed.

nismaratwork said:
I believe this has become a clear issue of union-busting, and that makes any other claim that was used to cover that act suspect.

It certainly looks that way to me.

Al68 said:
I find neither intimidating, myself. If I couldn't negotiate with someone on the terms of a purchase or employment, I might as well be someone's pet instead of a free person.

Intimidation doesn't come into it. Given a government employer, backed by corporate interests, having all its own way on its own terms, a union would have a chance of representing employers and fighting back. Dealing with employees on an individual basis, would be a "divide and conquer paradise" for the employer,and no matter how assertive an individual was, he'd probably have to purr sweetly, rollover or play fetch stick or something, just to get employed.

turbo-1 said:
It might be a good time to consider a parliamentary form of government...

I find it quite scary that these people just can't be booted out. If you take up the parliamentary option, its not easy to boot them out, but it is possible.

Norman said:
...the bill also has a provision to "sell any state-owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without the solicitation of bids."...

If this is true, it's just a license to be corrupt.

cobalt124 said:
I find it quite scary that these people just can't be booted out. If you take up the parliamentary option, its not easy to boot them out, but it is possible.

Are you suggesting that the 14 Senators that fled the state - to hide out (apparently at taxpayer expense) and avoid doing their job - be booted?

No, but the Rs that tried to ram the bill thru without any debate or hearings should be along w the Gov.

nismaratwork said:
Still, I have to question how you find neither intimidating... why don't you?
Because I've never had a reason to be intimidated by a car salesman or employer except the military (the only employer to ever have power over me). The real question is: why be intimidated?

Amp1 said:
No, but the Rs that tried to ram the bill thru without any debate or hearings should be along w the Gov.

Who should the Republicans debate WITH - when the Democrats are hiding out (apparently at taxpayer expense) in another state so they won't have to debate or vote?

WhoWee said:
Who should the Republicans debate WITH - when the Democrats are hiding out (apparently at taxpayer expense) in another state so they won't have to debate or vote?

Do you have proof that it is at taxpayer expense? Otherwise, please stop saying "apparently at taxpayer expense." If you have proof, I would really love to see it. Because if it is at taxpayer expense, people should know.

The point is that the Republicans were going to force a vote without enough debate. Why? Just look at the giant gathering in Madison. Both sides do it in power. This time it failed for the Republicans. It will fail for the Dems in the future too. Won't stop either party from trying again.

Norman said:
Do you have proof that it is at taxpayer expense? Otherwise, please stop saying "apparently at taxpayer expense." If you have proof, I would really love to see it. Because if it is at taxpayer expense, people should know.

The point is that the Republicans were going to force a vote without enough debate. Why? Just look at the giant gathering in Madison. Both sides do it in power. This time it failed for the Republicans. It will fail for the Dems in the future too. Won't stop either party from trying again.

I've posted several times in the past week - inquiring how the expenses for the legislators in hiding would be paid. Nobody has posted anything definitive in response yet.

I've heard a few people on the cable tv channels indicate it is at taxpayer expense - hence the "apparent" label as I still don't have confirmation. The use of the word "apparent" is to find an answer - I want to know as well.

As for the behavior of legislators hiding out to avoid a vote they fear they'll lose - children throw temper tantrums and adults face their problems.

Oh cmon you really think it isn't at tax payer expense? Anyhow I was just going to ask is there a name for the ploy the 14 dems in Wisconsin are doing? If not it really should have one so I'm open to suggestions the funnier the better :)

Containment said:
Oh cmon you really think it isn't at tax payer expense? Anyhow I was just going to ask is there a name for the ploy the 14 dems in Wisconsin are doing? If not it really should have one so I'm open to suggestions the funnier the better :)

If they manage to have a scandal of some type while at the hotel (use your imagination) - more than likely a catchy label will ensue.

Containment said:

My vote is the "Madtown Maneuver"

WhoWee said:
I've posted several times in the past week - inquiring how the expenses for the legislators in hiding would be paid. Nobody has posted anything definitive in response yet.

I've heard a few people on the cable tv channels indicate it is at taxpayer expense - hence the "apparent" label as I still don't have confirmation. The use of the word "apparent" is to find an answer - I want to know as well.

As for the behavior of legislators hiding out to avoid a vote they fear they'll lose - children throw temper tantrums and adults face their problems.

My gut feeling is who foots the bill depends largely on if their ploy works or not. If it fails, let the taxpayers eat it. Their political capitol is all used up anyways. But we won't know until the credit card bills come in, then someone has to request them, finally, someone has to comply with the request. So, a long time after it has all been decided.

Which would be worse - if the 14 Senators had their expenses (incurred while hiding out of state from voting on important legislation) paid by the taxpayers or by a union? Any opinions?

WhoWee said:
Which would be worse - if the 14 Senators had their expenses (incurred while hiding out of state from voting on important legislation) paid by the taxpayers or by a union? Any opinions?

I say union is worse and I am a former Wisconsin state union worker. I hate the new special interest control of the our government- regardless of the special interest.

I could kind of see the argument for the taxpayers - don't know if I buy it - but it seems plausible.

If you love bills that are voted on without being read and debated - the so-called "rammed down our throats" process - you'll love this bill. This one seems particularly special: Republicans arrive early to hold the vote even before the scheduled time, so they don't have to listen to minority opinions and amendments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gokul43201 said:
If you love bills that are voted on without being read and debated - the so-called "rammed down our throats" process - you'll love this bill. This one seems particularly special: Republicans arrive early to hold the vote even before the scheduled time, so they don't have to listen to minority opinions and amendments!

Well... what a bunch of "What a needle does".

Gokul43201 said:

Did you see the body language of the Speaker of the House and the fellow sitting just behind the person on the rant - not much response to a dramatic delivery?

If he's THIS outraged over a 147 page Bill that had some off-topic items included - how should all Americans feel about a 2,000+ page healthcare reform Bill stuffed with off-topic spending and a massive expansion of the IRS included - that nobody had a chance to read?:smile:

WhoWee said:
Did you see the body language of the Speaker of the House and the fellow sitting just behind the person on the rant - not much response to a dramatic delivery?

If he's THIS outraged over a 147 page Bill that had some off-topic items included - how should all Americans feel about a 2,000+ page healthcare reform Bill stuffed with off-topic spending and a massive expansion of the IRS included - that nobody had a chance to read?:smile:

Given that if anyone wanted to, they could have read it by now... about the same.

Gokul43201 said:

Wow, nice. I like his righteous indignation too.

WhoWee said:
What's your point?

If he's THIS outraged over a 147 page Bill that had some off-topic items included -
He is outraged, in large part, from finding that Republicans had decided to sneak in a vote even before the Dems had arrived for it. I suppose you find that honorable?

how should all Americans feel about a 2,000+ page healthcare reform Bill stuffed with off-topic spending and a massive expansion of the IRS included - that nobody had a chance to read?:smile:
This is a joke? The first drafts of the healthcare bill were introduced in June 2009, the nearly finalized versions in Oct 2009; there were...

...dozens of town hall meetings,
...at least a half-dozen House recesses and a similar number of Senate recesses,
...several dozens (hundreds?) of public opinion polls,
...some double-digit number of amendment hearings (I stopped counting at July 2009),
...and about 35 CBO reports (by my count, I may have missed some), ...

before the bill was finally voted through in March, 2010. That's over 8 months, including some 7 weeks of recess time, and plenty of help from the dozens of congressional staffers that each Congressperson has access to, to digest and debate and praise or vilify the 2400 pages of healthcare bill.

"Nobody had a chance to read"? Hogwash! If they didn't read it, it's because they chose not to. Not that that prevented you from repeating this again and again (how many times would you say?) in different threads here.

You'd think that by those standards, YOU would be outraged that the people of WI and the members of the State Legislature, with their relative pittance of staff, were given 3-4 days to read and vote on a 140 page bill. Outraged, that this bill was being rammed down their throats.

Last edited:

Gokul43201 said:
What's your point?

He is outraged, in large part, from finding that Republicans had decided to sneak in a vote even before the Dems had arrived for it. I suppose you find that honorable?

This is a joke? The first drafts of the healthcare bill were introduced in June 2009, the nearly finalized versions in Oct 2009, there were dozens (hundreds?) of town hall meetings, at least a half-dozen House recesses and a similar number of Senate recesses, several dozen public opinion polls, over a dozen amendments (I stopped counting at July 2009), and about 35 CBO reports (by my count, I may have missed some), before the bill was finally voted through in March, 2010. That's over 250 days, including some 7 weeks of recess time, and plenty of help from the dozens of congressional staffers that each Congressperson has access to, to digest and debate 2400 pages.

Didn't have a chance to read? Hogwash! If they didn't read it, it's because they chose not to. Not that that prevented you from repeating this again and again (how many times would you say?) in different threads here.

You'd think that by those standards, YOU would be outraged that the people of WI and the members of the State Legislature, with their relative pittance of staff, were given 3-4 days to read and vote on a 140 page bill. That this bill was [/i]rammed down their throats.[/i]

The body language of his associates indicate they were not moved by his performance.

As for his claim that he was told the wrong time - was he the only one? Have any other Democrats made this claim? As for his inability to read the 147 pages - are you certain he never saw a draft?

As for repeating that legislators were not given adequate time to read the 2,000+ page final document - I'll say it again now - they didn't read the Bill. Now we know the law might not even be legal - maybe they should've gotten an opinion before enacting the law - but that would have required THEY READ IT FIRST - wouldn't it?

IMO - this guy makes for great YouTube - real dramatic and laughable. If he was serious, he'd demand his associates (the ones hiding in another state) return and join him in public debates.

WhoWee said:
The body language of his associates indicate they were not moved by his performance.

Sociopaths and people with strong sociopathic affect and traits rarely are.

WhoWee said:
As for his claim that he was told the wrong time - was he the only one? Have any other Democrats made this claim? As for his inability to read the 147 pages - are you certain he never saw a draft?

Has anyone even counter-claimed that?

WhoWee said:
As for repeating that legislators were not given adequate time to read the 2,000+ page final document - I'll say it again now - they didn't read the Bill. Now we know the law might not even be legal - maybe they should've gotten an opinion before enacting the law - but that would have required THEY READ IT FIRST - wouldn't it?

This is a straw man... you're better than this.

WhoWee said:
IMO - this guy makes for great YouTube - real dramatic and laughable. If he was serious, he'd demand his associates (the ones hiding in another state) return and join him in public debates.

He's serious, his body language makes that clear, or at least he's worked himsefl up to a point where it's hard to tell. Yes, it's theatre, but that doesn't make him wrong. You're avoiding the substance I've come to expect from you man... come on.

WhoWee said:
Even assuming you are able to accurately read this from watching faces - I doubt you'd be able to tell whether or not I was moved when I watched the video - again, W H A T . I S . Y O U R . P O I N T ?

As for his claim that he was told the wrong time - was he the only one?
I'm going to ignore the misdirection here - I hope it isn't intentional. The point is not that he was told the wrong time. It is that Democrats were informed that a vote was scheduled for 5pm and Republicans started voting a few minutes earlier, clearly before all the Dems had arrived, yet somehow all the Repubs knew to be there early!

Have any other Democrats made this claim?
Why should they? Have any Republicans refuted it?

As for his inability to read the 147 pages - are you certain he never saw a draft?
No, I'm not "certain". The Congressman said he wasn't shown anything ("not even talking points"), and I'm taking his word for it until something contradicts it. Do you have any evidence at all to suggest otherwise? Have any Republicans rejected his claims?

As for repeating that legislators were not given adequate time to read the 2,000+ page final document - I'll say it again now - they didn't read the Bill.
That's not "saying it again." That's saying a COMPLETELY different thing. All within one sentence. Wow!

Now we know the law might not even be legal - maybe they should've gotten an opinion before enacting the law - but that would have required THEY READ IT FIRST - wouldn't it?
Do you assert that 8 months was not enough to to get "an opinion"? How is it that they (the Republicans) supposedly couldn't find the time to get "an opinion", when they found the time to hold dozens of town hall meetings, when the CBO found the time to research and produce dozens of reports, when the public found the time to weigh in on dozens of polls?

IMO - this guy makes for great YouTube - real dramatic and laughable.
The bluster of the congressman is irrelevant. The video provides better understanding of the facts of the case. If you want to ignore that in favor of critiquing theatrical value or psychoanalyzing emotional impact, you're just side stepping the issue.

If he was serious, he'd demand his associates (the ones hiding in another state) return and join him in public debates.
Are you really not getting the point, or just pretending not to? The WI Republicans showed no indication of ever allowing the Dems to engage in a debate of any kind. The Dems showing up would be the surest way of ensuring that there be no debate.

Last edited:

Gokul43201 said:
Even assuming you are able to accurately read this from watching faces - I doubt you'd be able to tell whether or not I was moved when I watched the video - again, W H A T . I S . Y O U R . P O I N T ?

I'm going to ignore the misidrection here. The point is not that he was told the wrong time. It is that Democrats were informed that a vote was scheduled for 5pm and Republicans started voting a few minutes earlier.

Why should they? Have any Republicans refuted it?

No, I'm not "certain". Are you certain that Walker is not a KKK supporter?

That's not "saying it again." That's saying a COMPLETELY different thing.

So you assert that 8 months was not enough to to get "an opinion". How is it that they (the Republicans) supposedly couldn't find the time to get "an opinion", when they found the time to hold dozens of town hall meetings, when the CBO found the time to research and produce dozens of reports, when the public got to weigh in on dozens of polls. Excuses!

The bluster of the congressman is irrelevant. The video provides better understanding of that facts of the case. If you want to ignore that in favor of critiquing theatrical value or psychoanalyzing emotional impact, you're just side stepping the issue.

Are you really not getting the point, or just pretending not to? The WI Republicans showed no indication of ever allowing the Dems to engage in a debate of any kind. The Dems showing up would be the surest way of PREVENTING debate.

Let me re-cap what we know:

-A legislator made a very dramatic and theatrical speech - that at least 2 people shown sitting behind him didn't even seem to pay attention to - the (apparent) Speaker of the House was shown talking to someone else during the rant.
-The legislator claims he was told the wrong time - but we don't know if anyone else commented in agreement or disagreement?
-He claims he didn't have time to read 147 (I think he said 147?) pages and was outraged that some other off-topic item was inserted - but we don't know if he saw a draft previously or whether he really found out the details on the radio - again - anyone else agree or disagree with him on the record?

My opinion is that this is great YouTube footage - nothing else - until it's corroborated.

As for your question - "Are you really not getting the point, or just pretending not to? The WI Republicans showed no indication of ever allowing the Dems to engage in a debate of any kind. The Dems showing up would be the surest way of PREVENTING debate" - are the Democrats going to hide-out until the next election?

Where was your outrage when Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi manipulated the rules?

WhoWee said:
Let me re-cap what we know:

-A legislator made a very dramatic and theatrical speech - that at least 2 people shown sitting behind him didn't even seem to pay attention to - the (apparent) Speaker of the House was shown talking to someone else during the rant.
-The legislator claims he was told the wrong time - but we don't know if anyone else commented in agreement or disagreement?
-He claims he didn't have time to read 147 (I think he said 147?) pages and was outraged that some other off-topic item was inserted - but we don't know if he saw a draft previously or whether he really found out the details on the radio - again - anyone else agree or disagree with him on the record?

My opinion is that this is great YouTube footage - nothing else - until it's corroborated.

As for your question - "Are you really not getting the point, or just pretending not to? The WI Republicans showed no indication of ever allowing the Dems to engage in a debate of any kind. The Dems showing up would be the surest way of PREVENTING debate" - are the Democrats going to hide-out until the next election?
So you have ABSOLUTELY nothing substantive to say, other that we can't be sure he isn't lying. Fine! That's good to know.

Where was your outrage when Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi manipulated the rules?
Please! I opposed both of their re-elections and said so in one or the other thread here. Don't even TRY to make this about ME! All this misdirection doesn't help your case at all.

Is there a budget crisis in Wisconsin? No, there is a projected shortfall that is self-inflicted by the GOP.

There is a kernel of truth in Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's claim of a "budget shortfall" of $137 million. But Walker, a Republican, failed to tell the state that less than two weeks into his term as governor, he, with his swollen Republican majorities in the Wisconsin legislature, pushed through $117 million in tax breaks for business allies of the GOP. There is your crisis.

The state Legislature's Legislative Fiscal Bureau -- Wisconsin's equivalent of the Congressional Budget Office and a refuge for professional expertise and nonpartisanship -- warned Walker and the legislature that the measure would create a budget gap. There is your shortfall -- and not one resulting from established public employee benefits. Before the tax giveaways, the fiscal agency predicted a surplus for the state.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stanley-kutler/what-gov-walker-wont-tell_1_b_827104.html

So of course, the GOP's favorite bogeyman (collective bargaining) is to blame, and rank and file workers must pay for the tax cuts given to businesses.

I didn't notice if anyone posted these?

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/pcs/taxrates.html

Top income tax rate is 7.75% (over a fixed max). The sales tax is 5% to 5.5%.

Back