Wisconsin (Madison) Plasma Physics

In summary, the department of nuclear engineering and engineering physics at the University of Wisconsin Madison is great. The city is nice, the department is experimental oriented, and the atmosphere is positive.
mordechai9
My best offer for graduate school has turned out to be University of Wisconsin - Madison for the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics. I plan on focusing on theoretical/computational plasma physics and magnetic confinement fusion.

Does anybody have any personal experience with the department, or even with the plasma physics research in general at Wisconsin? I've heard really good things about the city (except it's kind of small) and I also know it has a very good plasma physics program. However, it seems like it's very experimental oriented and I haven't yet talked to any students or anybody with a more personal experience of the situation. For example, are there a lot of interdepartmental activities? What is the "vibe" like? Any comments (positive or negative) would be appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Madison is a really nice city. And the campus is great.
I know our physics department work with Engineer departments a lot. You can check the website.
http://www.physics.wisc.edu/groups/index.html
Basically, we have a whole floor of plasma physicist :D (and another whole floor of particle physicists, for that matter).
And yes, our plasma program is basically the top in the US (2nd according to US News).
But again, I am not an engineer student, and I don't know a lot about the interdepartment work between nuclear/physic engineer and physics department.
I do know that EE is heavily involved in the plasma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, as far as the interdepartmental thing, there is something like 5-6 faculty in Engineering Physics who focus on plasma physics and fusion. Two of them do theoretical and computational plasma physics, and there is a third, but he is a professor emeritus (no longer advises students). It seems that there are like 2-4 theoretical/computational plasma physics professors in maybe 3 different departments.

hmm, it seems like you know a ton of stuff. I am wondering what else do you even need to know?

Heh Heh I know pretty much everything I can figure out off the internet. But I don't know very many personal details, like people's personal experiences, how the faculty treat people, what the atmosphere is like... stuff like that... I am visiting next weekend and hopefully I can convince some of the professors to give me an R.A. position.

1. What is plasma physics?

Plasma physics is the study of matter in its ionized state, also known as plasma. Plasma is a state of matter that is formed when a gas is heated to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to lose their electrons and become charged particles.

2. What makes Wisconsin (Madison) a hub for plasma physics research?

Wisconsin (Madison) is home to one of the leading plasma physics research facilities in the world, the Wisconsin Plasma Physics Laboratory (WiPPL). The university has a long history of pioneering research in this field, and the WiPPL is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for studying plasma at high temperatures and pressures.

3. What are some real-world applications of plasma physics research at Wisconsin (Madison)?

Plasma physics research at Wisconsin (Madison) has a wide range of applications, from developing new energy sources to improving materials processing techniques. Some specific areas of application include fusion energy, plasma propulsion for spacecraft, and plasma-based medical treatments.

4. What are the current projects and experiments being conducted at Wisconsin (Madison) in the field of plasma physics?

Currently, the Wisconsin Plasma Physics Laboratory is conducting experiments on plasma turbulence, magnetized plasma flows, and plasma confinement. Other ongoing projects include developing new plasma diagnostic techniques and studying the interaction of plasma with intense laser pulses.

5. Can students get involved in plasma physics research at Wisconsin (Madison)?

Yes, Wisconsin (Madison) offers undergraduate and graduate programs in plasma physics, and students have the opportunity to work on research projects at the WiPPL. The university also offers various internships and summer programs for students interested in gaining hands-on experience in plasma physics research.