1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT vs Princeton vs Wisconsin vs UCLA for plasma phys.

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    Which has the best program/research in plasma physics? I would have said Wisconsin but Alcator CMOD got its funding back this year so maybe MIT?

I am talking about either the engineering or physics departments, doesn't matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2
    I'm not really into plasma, but one of my friends who wants to do plasma has raved about Princeton's program and is desperate to get in there for graduate school. Hopefully someone who's more qualified can help!

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3
    Are you a senior? Are you interested in Theory, Computation, or Experiment? Are their particular people that you're interested in working with, or experiments that you want to work on?

I always say Wisconsin, but I'm biased!

Truthfully Wisconsin, MIT, and Princeton are all good. You can't go wrong with either.
    UCLA is a good school too. I think they focus more on basic plasma physics and less on magnetic fusion.

CMODs is only funded for this year. Its future is still unclear, and there is no guarantee that it will be funded in the future.

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4
    I'm leaning more towards theory and computation but I'd be open to experimental work too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook