1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wish to help out in a research lab, which comp lang to learn?

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    Hello
    I am a undergrad electrical engineering student. I took two courses on C before. With C, this seems to be not enough because I am hoping to help out in some engineering related research project at school.

Currently, I have no idea what type of research I am looking for. I am just wondering, out of all comp lang out there, which one is used the most in the research lab? C++/ phyron, etc...

I am looking for any advice on getting a research position or helping out in a research lab.

Thank you all.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2
    This is research group specific. I can tell you common ones, but that's not necessarily going to help.

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    any suggestion? is this question too broad or what?

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    I think the question is too broad. If you aren't sure what type of research you want to do, its hard to recommend a specific language to learn. MatLab is useful, so is C, so is R, as well as others. It'd be best if you looked around at what research seems cool and then look up what languages those profs are using.

6. May 15, 2013 #5

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm studying to be a biologist, so I was wondering what kind of chemical I should brew up in my home chemistry set in order to be the most helpful in some unspecified bio lab.

What the hell is phyron? That sounds adequately obscure that nobody will have heard of it.

What you should learn with regard to computing is computing, not any specific language. Learn how to write code that is easy to maintain, easy to verify, easy to validate. If you have that then you can pick up enough of whatever language they are using to get on with the job.
    Dan

7. May 16, 2013 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

You should see what languages your research group uses and learn them.

For example, my group uses MATLAB, Python, C, and C++.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook