1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wnat to research the theory of everything

  1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    in what profession i should get if i want to do some research in theory of everything.

    right now i am at undergraduate level but in a year or two i will need to pick my field
    i want to do research but dont know whether it is well paid or not , but i dont want to become a teacher or prof. .

    all these things are forcing me to chose engg.
    any information or guidelines will be helpful
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    that's in the realm of theoretical (particle) physics/high energy physics.

    research does not usually equal to good paid. Unless you do "applied science" where you can get a lot of $$ from patent and commercialisation of products.

    engg = Engineering? Engineering can get quite theoretical too but not in the extend of theoretical physics (say). But if you want to do research "for the people" rather than "for knowledge" then probably applied science or "engineering" may be your pick. if unsure just surf the web for info on different research centers/industries etc.
  4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    one more thing i would like to ask is that during my engg. course will i be taught all the concepts of theoretical physics ,like what is taught in B.Sc

    if that is true then i think that after doing my engg. , i will do research in theory of everything privately....but for that i will need to know the basic concepts of graduate level (in theoretical science)

    well their is a friend of mine having no interest in research ,but seeing a prog. in
    discovery he suddenly felt motivated to do what i wish to do

    certainly there is something mysterious behind that theory
    and certainly this is the only way i can get Noble prize..:rofl:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  5. Jan 5, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    that's depends on the course structure, it may vary at different uni. In general, the very tough materials that are needed for hardcore theoretical physics cannot be taught at ugrad level anyway. So, you can always go to grad school in physics after you have completed your Eng degree.

    as u said, you need to learn a lot in the meantime

    err.... Nobel prizes are more often given to experimentalists.... for theorists, they will have to wait!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook