Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woeld not a world

1. Dec 20, 2005 #1
    what if the world was everthing black and white and grey? no any colours?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Well since white is a combonation of all the visible spectrum... I'm not sure how thats possible.
  4. Dec 20, 2005 #3
    Well put! I just examined a white area of my colored monitor with a magnifier and I saw red, green and blue segments; (none of these where white).
  5. Dec 21, 2005 #4

Gold Member

my magnifier isnt good enough to pick them up :P
  6. Dec 21, 2005 #5

Gold Member

I think it would be possible if there's a defect in one's brain or eye!(not sure but I think some animals see the world in black and white.)

7. Dec 21, 2005 #6
    If there is an old color tv around that might be easier to see.
  8. Dec 21, 2005 #7

White is a combination of all colors, and black means no color.
  9. Dec 21, 2005 #8
    Dogs see in black and white only, well and shades of gray. plus their are plenty of people who're color blind, though from whati understand, most people aren't entirely color blind, they just can't distinguish colors easily. Besides something's color is just one distinguishing characteristic of the things its made up of. its not necessary that we be able to distinguish colors, but it makes it easier to identify objects. but we could do that either way.
  10. Dec 21, 2005 #9

Gold Member

Firstly I'd say "What the f**k happened to my cone cells?", and if it turned out they were fine i'd worry about what had happened to the rest of the EM spectrum. That wouldn't last long though, as I'd get run over at the next pedestrian crossing.
  11. Dec 21, 2005 #10
    Oliver Sacks treated a guy who lost all color vision after a freak bump on the head in just the right spot in a car accident.

Everything was shades of grey for him which made many things repulsive, especially food.
  12. Dec 21, 2005 #11
    What if your brain could only "show" you black and white? Some people have messed up cones or whatever and have that problem too...
  13. Dec 21, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Here's a synopsis I found for those who haven't read it:
    I wish I still had the book. I remember being fascinated that it wasn't the cone cells in his eyes that were damaged, but part of the brain involved in processing the color information. He suffered a whack on the back of the noggin, I guess? I can't remember the details. I found the following information about the disorder:
    I have no idea what a "bilateral ischemic infarction" is. Or "Bilateral upper homonymous quadrantanopsias" either.:redface:
  14. Dec 21, 2005 #13
    It cololerd blind.Sometimes people who color blind can't see any color's but they can tell the differnce it's kind of like when your watching TV from the 60's you when the just had black tv back then,you couldn't see any color's but you could kind of tell which were which
  15. Dec 21, 2005 #14
    Good quotes you found there.
    Main Entry: bi·lat·er·al
    Pronunciation: (")bI-'la-t(&-)r&l
    Function: adjective
    1 : having two sides
    2 : affecting reciprocally two nations or parties <a bilateral treaty> <a bilateral trade agreement>
    3 a : of, relating to, or affecting the right and left sides of the body or the right and left members of paired organs <bilateral nephrectomy> b : having bilateral symmetry
    - bi·lat·er·al·ism /-t(&-)r&-"li-z&m/ noun
    - bi·lat·er·al·ly adverb
    Main Entry: is·che·mia
    Pronunciation: is-'kE-mE-&
    Function: noun
    Etymology: New Latin ischaemia, from ischaemus styptic, from Greek ischaimos, from ischein to restrain (akin to Greek echein to hold) + haima blood -- more at SCHEME
    : localized tissue anemia due to obstruction of the inflow of arterial blood
    - is·che·mic /-mik/ adjective
    Main Entry: in·farct
    Pronunciation: 'in-"färkt, in-'
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin infarctus, past participle of infarcire to stuff, from in- + farcire to stuff
    : an area of necrosis in a tissue or organ resulting from obstruction of the local circulation by a thrombus or embolus
    - in·farct·ed /in-'färk-t&d/ adjective
    - in·farc·tion /in-'färk-sh&n/ noun
    So, a "bilateral ischemic infarction" is a situation where the same area of both hemispheres has been killed because the arterial blood feeding them was blocked by a blood clot or lump of cholesterol
  16. Dec 21, 2005 #15
    then what does grey mean?

if white means all coulour and black means none? what would grey mean?
  17. Dec 21, 2005 #16
    I think that it would be like dimming of the light. A white surface is reflecting all the visible colours of light in the spectrum. A black surface is absorbing all the visible colours of light in the spectrum. By combining the effect of the white with the effect of the black you more or less "dim" the reflected light. There is no grey in the spectrum of colours of light.
  18. Dec 22, 2005 #17
    Here's an illustration of the relative sensitivity of the cones to the rods. Rods, which are all that are left in total color blindness are only sensitive in a narrow range.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?