Woes about graduate school admissions

In summary, the speaker is a 4th year applied math major who initially struggled in their first two and a half years of college due to laziness and poor study habits. However, they improved and became more motivated in their 3rd and 4th year, achieving a 3.9 GPA in advanced upper division math classes and being accepted to a math research camp. They are wondering if they have a chance at being accepted into a top 20 PhD program with strong recommendations from professors. The other person advises that while it may be tough, it is possible with a strong overall trend and good performance in the GRE subject test. They also suggest considering a masters degree to further showcase their abilities if their grades were initially low.
prettymidget
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 4th year applied math major who goes to a top 40 school and due to stupidity and poor class scheduling in my lower division years, has to stay an extra semester to fulfill graduation requirements. Here's the story:

During my first two and a half years of college, I was lazy and unmotivated. I couldn't break away from my high school mentality of not needing to do work outside of class. I had passable but not stellar grades (I averaged about a 2.9 in my math and science classes) which I know is not near graduate school quality. During the transition between 3rd and 4th year, after a lot of thought and reflection, I found myself getting far more motivated to study mathematics and learning the material ceased to be a chore, but became fun and engaging.

I changed my study habits considerably (I must've studied 5 hours daily all year long this year. I learned the hard way there is no substitute for sitting down for hours on end and doing the proofs on your own), taking year long introductory graduate sequences in both analysis and abstract algebra this year and getting A's in all of them. During my senior year, my grades went up to about a 3.9 taking all advanced upper division math classes, and I even was lucky enough to be accepted to a math research camp this summer at Williams College. I know there are several other factors to getting accepted to a say, top 20 PHD program, but would I have any decent chance assuming I had good recommendations from professors?

Thanks for any opinions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An improved trend, together with strong results in advanced classes, explanation of circumstances, and most importantly, professors who actually recommend you positively, should in my experience of watching over admissions decisions, give you a shot. Try to get recommendations from your research camp.

Remember the very top PhD programs can be so tough to get into that most anyone would find it hard. Do fairly well in the GRE subject test to get another little stamp of your ability to do basics ... all this will figure in.

I think Top 20 may be doable, though the very top of the heap is always a stretch for people.

I emphasize that if you had lots of low results, you may need to spend extra time showing consistently good performance. In the worst case, do a masters degree, not for the degree itself, but for extra showings of your ability to handle serious stuff.

What are the most important factors in graduate school admissions?

The most important factors in graduate school admissions vary depending on the program and institution, but generally include academic qualifications (such as GPA and test scores), letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements or essays.

Is it necessary to have research experience for graduate school?

While research experience is not always required for graduate school admissions, it is highly recommended and can significantly strengthen your application. Many programs, particularly in STEM fields, value research experience as it demonstrates your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the field.

How important are letters of recommendation in the admissions process?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of graduate school admissions as they provide insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a graduate program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting accepted into graduate school?

To improve your chances of getting accepted into graduate school, focus on building a strong academic record, gaining research experience, and developing relationships with professors who can write strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, put effort into crafting a compelling personal statement or essay that showcases your passion and qualifications for the program.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid in the graduate school admissions process?

Some common mistakes to avoid in the graduate school admissions process include submitting a weak personal statement or essay, not following application instructions, not researching the program and institution thoroughly, and not giving recommenders enough time to write letters of recommendation. It is also important to proofread all application materials carefully to avoid typos or errors.