Woke up with temperature and digestive problems

In summary, Evo tells a funny story about her daughter's prolonged bout of diarrhea and how she finally got relief by switching her to greasy food. Radou recommends a similar strategy for people with Gastointestinal Distress.
radou
Homework Helper
I can believe it!

And it's Easter tomorrow! If I don't get well till tomorrow, I won't be able to enjoy the tasty edible Easter goods my mum and grandma have prepared! :cry:

And I was totally looking forward to it.. not that we're a hungry family, it's just that Easter food is so special, just like Christmas. Ugh. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm so sorry.
For your comfort, here is a basket with hand-painted Easter eggs, just for you:
bukovina-easter-eggs-zoglauer-table-640.jpg

Thanks, arildno! :smile:

A nice basket, indeed. :approve:

You just have to be brave Radou, When I have gastointestinal distress, I eat a big bowl of chili. Shocks my digestive track back to normal. I guess this might not work for a lot of people, but it works for me.

Funny, when you have diarrhea you always hear that you shouldn't eat any solid food, only eat jello, and there is some BRATT diet(consisting of Bananas, Rice (white), Apple juice or sauce, and Toast and Tea) that is supposed to be eaten for diarrhea because they claim it's "easy on the stomach".. Bananas cause sever attacks of accute pancreatitus in me. So much for that diet.

My youngest daughter had a very prolonged bout of diarrhea when she was 2. It just wouldn't stop, we're talking months. I changed doctors and the new doctor said feed her greasy foods, greasy fried chicken, french fries, just make sure it's really greasy. He said the foods I was told to feed her prevented her stools from binding and that the grease should do the trick. So I switched her to greasy fried chicken and the next day her stool had started hardening, within a couple of days she was back to normal.

You just never know what to believe.

Last edited:
:yuck: What a lovely post Evo, looks like I won't be eating my lunch for a while...:rolleyes:

Evo said:
You just have to be brave Radou, When I have gastointestinal distress, I eat a big bowl of chili. Shocks my digestive track back to normal. I guess this might not work for a lot of people, but it works for me.

Well, good for you that you have such a card up your sleeve. :smile:

I believe I don't (literarily) have the guts for it. :tongue:

Btw, I think I'm getting better, my appetite is coming back. Hope on sight, finally.

Evo said:
You just never know what to believe.

Well, that's for sure.

Hootenanny said:
:yuck: What a lovely post Evo, looks like I won't be eating my lunch for a while...:rolleyes:
That's the reaction I usually get. :frown:
Radou said:
Btw, I think I'm getting better, my appetite is coming back. Hope on sight, finally
Glad to hear it. What kind of goodies will you be eating?

Evo said:
Funny, when you have diarrhea you always hear that you shouldn't eat any solid food, only eat jello, and there is some BRATT diet(consisting of Bananas, Rice (white), Apple juice or sauce, and Toast and Tea) that is supposed to be eaten for diarrhea because they claim it's "easy on the stomach"..

I've never heard people told that for diarrhea, but more if their stomach is upset and they're having trouble keeping food down (vomiting). The idea is it just gets the nutrients in quickly, along with keeping you hydrated, so you don't become malnourished when very little of what you eat is getting in and staying in. There's no reason at all to avoid solid foods if you can keep them down, and they'll settle your stomach much quicker. If I have an upset stomach, I do avoid the spicy foods (so no chili, though if you made it mild, then it would be an otherwise easy food to eat with all the vitamins and nutrients you need in a single bowl, especially if you add some crackers with it), but go for things like mashed potatoes and baked chicken. It's easy on the stomach and settles it quickly.

Eating greasy food doesn't make any sense though, either, because oils will pass through the digestive system very quickly and induce diarrhea (the old mineral oil cure for constipation). That would only make things worse. Some of the older pediatricians have some bizarre notions. More than likely, what worked for your daughter was simply that you started feeding her solid foods, and that they had plenty of proteins in them because fatty foods are also often high protein, especially back then when it would have been things like meat and cheese. I don't know what the first pediatrician could have possibly been thinking to tell you to keep her on a liquid diet for diarrhea!

Moonbear said:
but go for things like mashed potatoes and baked chicken. It's easy on the stomach and settles it quickly.

I'll go for something similar right now (rice, carrots and cooked chicken).

Evo said:
That's the reaction I usually get. :frown:
Glad to hear it. What kind of goodies will you be eating?

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. :approve:

Thank god, I'm OK today ! :smile:

I knew the Easter Bunny is generous ! :biggrin:

1. What could be causing my temperature and digestive problems?

There are many possible causes for these symptoms, including a viral or bacterial infection, food poisoning, or a reaction to medication. It's best to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

2. Should I be concerned about my temperature and digestive problems?

If your symptoms are mild and improve within a few days, it is likely nothing to worry about. However, if you experience severe or persistent symptoms, it's important to seek medical attention.

3. Can stress or anxiety cause these symptoms?

Stress and anxiety can certainly contribute to digestive issues, but they are not typically associated with a fever. If you are experiencing these symptoms along with a fever, it's best to consult a doctor.

4. What should I do to relieve my symptoms?

Drinking plenty of fluids, getting rest, and avoiding spicy or greasy foods can help ease digestive issues. Over-the-counter medications may also provide relief. For a fever, it's important to stay hydrated and take fever-reducing medication as directed.

5. When should I seek medical attention for these symptoms?

If your symptoms are severe or do not improve within a few days, it's best to consult a doctor. Additionally, if you experience other concerning symptoms such as difficulty breathing, chest pain, or severe abdominal pain, seek medical attention immediately.