Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woke up with temperature and digestive problems

1. Apr 7, 2007 #1

radou

Homework Helper

I can believe it!!!

And it's Easter tomorrow! If I don't get well till tomorrow, I won't be able to enjoy the tasty edible Easter goods my mum and grandma have prepared! :cry:

And I was totally looking forward to it.. not that we're a hungry family, it's just that Easter food is so special, just like Christmas. Ugh. :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm so sorry.
    For your comfort, here is a basket with hand-painted Easter eggs, just for you:
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 7, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Thanks, arildno! :smile:

A nice basket, indeed. :approve:

5. Apr 7, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You just have to be brave Radou, When I have gastointestinal distress, I eat a big bowl of chili. Shocks my digestive track back to normal. I guess this might not work for a lot of people, but it works for me.

Funny, when you have diarrhea you always hear that you shouldn't eat any solid food, only eat jello, and there is some BRATT diet(consisting of Bananas, Rice (white), Apple juice or sauce, and Toast and Tea) that is supposed to be eaten for diarrhea because they claim it's "easy on the stomach".. Bananas cause sever attacks of accute pancreatitus in me. So much for that diet.

My youngest daughter had a very prolonged bout of diarrhea when she was 2. It just wouldn't stop, we're talking months. I changed doctors and the new doctor said feed her greasy foods, greasy fried chicken, french fries, just make sure it's really greasy. He said the foods I was told to feed her prevented her stools from binding and that the grease should do the trick. So I switched her to greasy fried chicken and the next day her stool had started hardening, within a couple of days she was back to normal.

You just never know what to believe.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. Apr 7, 2007 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: What a lovely post Evo, looks like I won't be eating my lunch for a while...:rolleyes:

7. Apr 7, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Well, good for you that you have such a card up your sleeve. :smile:

I believe I don't (literarily) have the guts for it. :tongue:

Btw, I think I'm getting better, my appetite is coming back. Hope on sight, finally.

Well, that's for sure.

8. Apr 7, 2007 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's the reaction I usually get. :frown:
    Glad to hear it. What kind of goodies will you be eating?

9. Apr 7, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never heard people told that for diarrhea, but more if their stomach is upset and they're having trouble keeping food down (vomiting). The idea is it just gets the nutrients in quickly, along with keeping you hydrated, so you don't become malnourished when very little of what you eat is getting in and staying in. There's no reason at all to avoid solid foods if you can keep them down, and they'll settle your stomach much quicker. If I have an upset stomach, I do avoid the spicy foods (so no chili, though if you made it mild, then it would be an otherwise easy food to eat with all the vitamins and nutrients you need in a single bowl, especially if you add some crackers with it), but go for things like mashed potatoes and baked chicken. It's easy on the stomach and settles it quickly.

Eating greasy food doesn't make any sense though, either, because oils will pass through the digestive system very quickly and induce diarrhea (the old mineral oil cure for constipation). That would only make things worse. Some of the older pediatricians have some bizarre notions. More than likely, what worked for your daughter was simply that you started feeding her solid foods, and that they had plenty of proteins in them because fatty foods are also often high protein, especially back then when it would have been things like meat and cheese. I don't know what the first pediatrician could have possibly been thinking to tell you to keep her on a liquid diet for diarrhea!

10. Apr 7, 2007 #9

radou

Homework Helper

I'll go for something similar right now (rice, carrots and cooked chicken).

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. :approve:

11. Apr 8, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

Thank god, I'm OK today !!! :smile:

I knew the Easter Bunny is generous !!!! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?