1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word done by (non)conservative force

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    In the following question, the answer is a
    http://tinyurl.com/2musg7

My understanding is,
    amount of work done of conservative force
    =amount of decrease of potential energy
    =amount of increase in kinetic energy

decreases of word done of nonconservative force
    =decreases of mechanical energy of the entire system

Am I correct?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, you are right. a is the answer.

change in kinetic energy is the net work done by all forces... so that's -30J + 50J = 20J

change in mechanical energy is work done by all non-conservative forces = -30J

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    But is that always the case that work done of the non-conservative force(-30J) will contribute to the kinetic energy, but not potential energy? I can' find this information in the reference book that I have.

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Why do you say it only contributes to the kinetic energy and not potential energy? work done by non-cons. forces = change kinetic energy + change in potential energy.

The basic physics is:

Work done by all forces = change in kinetic energy

Work done by non-conservative forces + work done by conservative forces = change in kinetic energy

The above is the physics involved... the stuff below is just bookkeeping (ie math/algebra)

Work done by non-conservative forces = -work done by conservative forces + change in kinetic energy

now we introduce the idea of change in potential energy as -work done by cons. forces

Work done by non-conservative forces = change in potential energy + change in kinetic energy

I advise you not to think of it in terms of contributions to potential energy vs. contributions to kinetic energy... let the math take care of it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?