Word done by (non)conservative force

• Thread starter jack1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a decrease in potential energy results in an increase in kinetic energy, while a decrease in word done results in a decrease in kinetic energy.
jack1234
In the following question, the answer is a
http://tinyurl.com/2musg7

My understanding is,
amount of work done of conservative force
=amount of decrease of potential energy
=amount of increase in kinetic energy

decreases of word done of nonconservative force
=decreases of mechanical energy of the entire system

Am I correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right. a is the answer.

change in kinetic energy is the net work done by all forces... so that's -30J + 50J = 20J

change in mechanical energy is work done by all non-conservative forces = -30J

change in kinetic energy is the net work done by all forces... so that's -30J + 50J = 20J

But is that always the case that work done of the non-conservative force(-30J) will contribute to the kinetic energy, but not potential energy? I can' find this information in the reference book that I have.

jack1234 said:
But is that always the case that work done of the non-conservative force(-30J) will contribute to the kinetic energy, but not potential energy? I can' find this information in the reference book that I have.

Why do you say it only contributes to the kinetic energy and not potential energy? work done by non-cons. forces = change kinetic energy + change in potential energy.

The basic physics is:

Work done by all forces = change in kinetic energy

Work done by non-conservative forces + work done by conservative forces = change in kinetic energy

The above is the physics involved... the stuff below is just bookkeeping (ie math/algebra)

Work done by non-conservative forces = -work done by conservative forces + change in kinetic energy

now we introduce the idea of change in potential energy as -work done by cons. forces

Work done by non-conservative forces = change in potential energy + change in kinetic energy

I advise you not to think of it in terms of contributions to potential energy vs. contributions to kinetic energy... let the math take care of it...

Likes gracy

What is work done by a (non)conservative force?

The work done by a force is the amount of energy transferred to an object as it is moved through a certain distance. A conservative force is one that does not depend on the path taken, while a non-conservative force does depend on the path taken.

What is the difference between work done by a conservative force and a non-conservative force?

A conservative force does not depend on the path taken, only the starting and ending positions. This means that the work done by a conservative force is independent of the specific path taken and only determined by the initial and final positions. In contrast, a non-conservative force does depend on the path taken and can result in different amounts of work being done for different paths.

How is work done by a (non)conservative force calculated?

The work done by a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. For conservative forces, this is simply the change in potential energy, while for non-conservative forces, this also includes the change in kinetic energy.

What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces, and electrostatic forces. These forces do not depend on the path taken and only the starting and ending positions.

What are some examples of non-conservative forces?

Some examples of non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and tension in a rope. These forces depend on the path taken and can result in different amounts of work being done for different paths.