Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

  • Thread starter Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
235 replies · 26K views
Sorry.. I'm trying not to give this away too easily.

It's a sort of duel.

--edit--
this was the part I was getting at by referring to rappers.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
Sorry.. I'm trying not to give this away too easily.

It's a sort of duel.

--edit--
this was the part I was getting at by referring to rappers.
Hmmm... 'flyting' ?
 
Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Hmmm... 'flyting' ?
Correct. You're turn Gokul.
 
The noun form of this verb was coined very early in the 17th century, before the verb itself came into being. The verb is derived from a noun which had been in sporadic use at the time. This noun comes from an Arabic word that was born around the 11th Century.
 
Damn, that was fast ! Just living up to your name, I guess. You're up.

PS : For completeness, the noun that was coined around 1705 (by Shakespeare, for Macbeth) is 'assassination'.
 
Ah shucks! 'Tweren't nothin'. :blushing: My word means something discarded or defunct. It once referred to things both living and non-living, but its reference to living things has been discarded and defunt for quite a while now (at least in English).
 
oh, i meant is the word: "obsolete", but i guess that's not it ;-)
 
ok, i have to go do laundry now. i hope this game gets played again the next time I'm on, i totally enjoyed that :approve:
 
No, that is not the word, and it is not headed in the right direction. The word is a very basic one with Latin roots.
 
fi said:
Its not excrement, is it?
I'd have said that sure looks like a winner, but then I thought the same thing when turbo guessed 'rime' on the previous clue.
 
I figured you rascals would have tumbled to this by now. It's a coastal city, and the Latin root word is EXACTLY half of the modern name.
 
Corpse?

If so you really threw me with the way you worded the clue. Good Job.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Corpse?

If so you really threw me with the way you worded the clue. Good Job.
Yep, that's it.
 
There are ten of these words, one hundred letters long, all belonging to a single literary work.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
There are ten of these words, one hundred letters long, all belonging to a single literary work.
Thunderwords, in Finnegan's Wake.
 
turbo-1 said:
Thunderwords, in Finnegan's Wake.
That is correct.
 
turbo-1 said:
As a verb, it can also describe a method of joining panes of window glass (pronunciation differs).
It is also the English name of an element.
 
Absolutely! You are next. I thought that word would be easy because "lead" has so many definitions. What's your word?
 
It's a 7 letter adjective. If you replace the 2nd letter with an "e", and add an "i" after the third letter, the two words mean the same thing.