Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

  • Thread starter Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
235 replies · 26K views
Since I am going away for the weekend this afternoon, I'll give it and turn the thread over to you turbo.

casual and causal.-
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to be hard to give hints to this one without giving it away, but the word is used to describe something that is really nailed down, and something that is speedy.
 
fast or fastened :biggrin:

Actually "really nailed down" got me to think of "fasteners" and then I realized fast was speedy.
 
Last edited:
Astronuc said:
fast or fastened :biggrin:
Actually "really nailed down" got me to think of "fasteners" and then I realized fast was speedy.
Yet "fast" is the word. The phrase "hard and fast" is used to describe something that is immovable, but it could also describe a puck when you stop a slap shot with your head.

What's your word(s) Astronuc?
 
A noun which describes something on which things are placed, and the verb means to put things on it.
 
turbo-1 said:
No
Sorry
:confused:
I was positive that would be it.
Another clue maybe?
 
I'm sorry SA - I didn't notice the misspelling and assumed that you reposted pinch. My bad. The word is "cinch", and the next word is yours.
 
Last edited:
I didn't realize it could be spelled with a 'C'...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cinch
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sinch

I guess it's supposed to be the same word though it doesn't mention the other definition with the 'S' spelling. Odd.


Umm, let's see...
This word is beyond nature rather than over it like it's more commonly used synonym.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
durt said:
preternatural?
Yes.
Boy, did I make that too easy?
 
It's your turn now Durt if you'd like to give a hint for a word.
 
Ok then.

Something done by poets, Loki, and even modern hip hop rappers. Specifically the older term.
 
Loki (the norse trickster god, right?) did a bit of cross-dressing once; so I'll go for that.
 
turbo-1 said:
Rime? As in Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner?
Ooh, nice one !
 
Sorry I was gone for a couple days.

Turbo-1 is one the right track.

Another clue... The term started with Scot poets in particular.
 
Stave?? (Considering that "stev" is a Norwegian word meaning a "rhyme" or song of sorts, it might be possible that the Scots have this word in their vocabulary. They already have quite a few Norwegian loan-words).
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Sorry I was gone for a couple days.

Turbo-1 is one the right track.

Another clue... The term started with Scot poets in particular.
Darn! I thought I had it, especially since Loki was originally a Rime giant.