Word/notation for "swallowing constant"?

1. Greetings,

I used to sit in on an astrophysics course, where during derivations the professor would often absorb all of the constants in a given expression into a single ever-changing constant at the front of the expression. E.g., for a trivial example, let [itex]X[/itex] be [itex]3[/itex] times the circumference of a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] times the perimeter of a square of side length [itex]l[/itex], with [itex]k[/itex] the constant in front:

The constant [itex]3[/itex], the [itex]2\pi[/itex] from [itex]C(r)[/itex], and the [itex]4[/itex] from [itex]P(l)[/itex] are all absorbed into [itex]k[/itex].

Is there a common name for this kind of device, which in the title of this thread I just called a "swallowing constant"? Also, is there a common notation for it?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth
  2. jcsd
  3. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 41,049
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would use the phrase you did: "absorbed into k". There is no special name for the constant into which other constants because there is nothing special about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted