1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word/notation for "swallowing constant"?

  1. May 25, 2014 #1

    I used to sit in on an astrophysics course, where during derivations the professor would often absorb all of the constants in a given expression into a single ever-changing constant at the front of the expression. E.g., for a trivial example, let [itex]X[/itex] be [itex]3[/itex] times the circumference of a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] times the perimeter of a square of side length [itex]l[/itex], with [itex]k[/itex] the constant in front:


    The constant [itex]3[/itex], the [itex]2\pi[/itex] from [itex]C(r)[/itex], and the [itex]4[/itex] from [itex]P(l)[/itex] are all absorbed into [itex]k[/itex].

    Is there a common name for this kind of device, which in the title of this thread I just called a "swallowing constant"? Also, is there a common notation for it?

    Thanks for any help that you can give.

    -HJ Farnsworth
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I would use the phrase you did: "absorbed into k". There is no special name for the constant into which other constants because there is nothing special about it.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook