Word on the street about the new Indiana Jones movie is that it is

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: I am still looking forward to seeing the new film. I think it will be good, I have liked all the rest of them, so far... :smile:It's not a revisitation, so much as a continuation. As with Star Wars, the Indy movies were intended to be a trio of trilogies (nine parts). Whatever might have changed due to technology and viewer preferences, this movie was planned before the first one came out.I just hope that Spielberg decided not to go too overboard with the special effects. The one thing I loved about the series is how realistic it was... no overdone pyrotechnics, nothing too 'out there'. Then again, I suppose there's
I thought it was totally sweet, I just got done watching it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Quincy said:
Roger Ebert gave the movie an A-; I guess it's better than what a lot of people expected.

Ebert also gave Matrix 2 3.5 out of 4 stars even though that movie is absolute trash. The new Indy movie got mixed reviews so you are just going to have to see it for yourself and decide how good or bad it is.

So I just went to see Iron Man tonight. It was every bit as good as it's purse would indicate. Anyhoo, the theater complex was more packed than I've ever seen. Most were not there to see Iron Man...

russ_watters said:
So I just went to see Iron Man tonight. It was every bit as good as it's purse would indicate. Anyhoo, the theater complex was more packed than I've ever seen. Most were not there to see Iron Man...

I saw Indian today. It was about the same as iron man. It was ...ehhhhhhh. Not bad, but not GREAT. Just O.K. I don't like iron man because I think robert downey is a D-bag.

Now, I can't wait for BATMAN!

Cyrus said:
I saw Indian today. It was about the same as iron man. It was ...ehhhhhhh. Not bad, but not GREAT. Just O.K. I don't like iron man because I think robert downey is a D-bag.

Tony Stark was an alcoholic "D-bag" in the comics. It's a sure fit. ;-p

Cyrus said:
Just O.K. I don't like iron man because I think robert downey is a D-bag.
See, I agree about Downey Jr, but the movie got me over it (for a few hours, at least). It really was that good.
Looks like it will be awesome.

Preliminary numbers are in:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull took in $126.1 million for the four-day Memorial Day weekend holiday...

The haul was the second-biggest Memorial Day weekend opening on record, behind only last year's Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which earned $139.8 million.

Beyond No. 1, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian was second with $28.6 million, and Iron Man third with $26.7 million.

Just got back from seeing the New Indy film with my wife, And can honestly say that we both found it entertaining. It was definitely better than Temple of Doom.

Some complaints I had head about the film were that the story was too complicated, that Marion wasn't in it enough and there were too many nods to the previous movies.

After seeing the film, I frankly I don't agree with any of them.

I think a some of the problem is that some people go into this movie with such high expectations, that the movie is bound to disappoint them.

Oh my god I just got back from this movie. I don't agree with the critics at all, they didn't pan this movie enough. WHAT A PILE TRASH!

Put is this way, Spiderman 3 and Matrix 3 were 10x's better than Indiana Jones 4 was compared to all their original counterparts.

Someone needs to slap George Lucas on the head for killing two classic series now.

This movie was GOD AWFUL. I don't even think it is worth a rental.

gravenewworld said:
Oh my god I just got back from this movie. I don't agree with the critics at all, they didn't pan this movie enough. WHAT A PILE TRASH!

Put is this way, Spiderman 3 and Matrix 3 were 10x's better than Indiana Jones 4 was compared to all their original counterparts.

Someone needs to slap George Lucas on the head for killing two classic series now.

This movie was GOD AWFUL. I don't even think it is worth a rental.

Oh come on, it was in line with the original indiana jones. Remember the arc shooting beams of light and melting the nazis heads? How is this one any less radical than that jones film?

Cyrus said:
Oh come on, it was in line with the original indiana jones. Remember the arc shooting beams of light and melting the nazis heads? How is this one any less radical than that jones film?

But most of the action scenes in all the previous Indiana Jones movies weren't 100% animated CGI pieces of garbage.

I wanted to drink strychnine at the part where Shia was swinging from the trees like a monkey.

GIVE ME JAR JAR AND THE PHANTOM MENACE OVER THIS WORTHLESS WASTE OF 2 HOURS.

gravenewworld said:
But most of the action scenes in all the previous Indiana Jones movies weren't 100% animated CGI pieces of garbage.

I wanted to drink strychnine at the part where Shia was swinging from the trees like a monkey.

I agree, that part was...:rolleyes:

But then again, there are parts in the original that are also...:rolleyes:

Cyrus said:
I agree, that part was...:rolleyes:

But then again, there are parts in the original that are also...:rolleyes:

Yes I know. I realize that the movies are based off of comic books so they are going to have some hocus pocus, that's fine by me. I enjoyed the first 3 films. The latest installment has nothing but over the top faux action sequences that are entirely animated, terrible dialogue, non rememberable characters, and an absolutely laughable plot. When you resurrect one of films greatest trilogies of all time, people are going to have high expectations, and rightfully so. When the director/producer of a film says that "you shouldn't have such high expectations going into the film", that is simply a cop out on their part. George Lucas is trying to put the blame on the consumer for not liking the movie when in fact he is to blame simply because it was a bad movie and atrociously written script overall.

My expectations went out the window after seeing Temple of Doom. I've since made piece with the fact that, while the first one was truly classic, the rest of them were just fun summer films. So I wasn't disappointed.

And besides, I had my "sequel expectation" nerve surgically removed following the Highlander Debacle.

"There shuld bie only one!"

gravenewworld said:
What a laugh! You were convinced that it was "utter garbage" (read your OP), yet you wasted hard-earned money and two hours to see it during its theatrical realease. Did I call it right?
turbo-1 said:
I predict the movie will out-perform any others for weeks and will make the director, producer, and stars a boat-load of money. You may hold your nose, drag your feet, and kick your heels, but most of you WILL see this film.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1735507&postcount=27
Henry Menken said:
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

There used to be this kid in my class called indiana and sometimes people would call him indiana jones as a joke but it wasn't very funny

I thought the movie was really good but in a fun way not an artistic way like the first movie was. I would have liked the ending more but the CGI used at the very end looked very 90s. It wasn't consistent with the rest of the film. The textures used and every thing were analagous to PS2 textures like on the ship and rocks whereas the rest of the movie had pretty believe able effects.

RocketSurgery said:
I thought the movie was really good but in a fun way not an artistic way like the first movie was. I would have liked the ending more but the CGI used at the very end looked very 90s. It wasn't consistent with the rest of the film. The textures used and every thing were analagous to PS2 textures like on the ship and rocks whereas the rest of the movie had pretty believe able effects.

********Spoiler Alert**************

Are you kidding me? The part where the fridge flew 100000 yards after the atomic blast looked real? The sword fight between Lebeouf and Blanchett looked real? The part where Lebeouf was swinging from the trees like a a monkey looked real? 70% of the movie just looked like a cartoon.

19 years to write a script and this is the best they could come up with. The movie was one of the worst I have seen in the past 2 years.

I saw it today, and thought it was good, trippy but good. The worst scene is one involving hanging in vines, and a bunch of howler monkeys...

Ha, having taken video class this year, I am now cursed. I was counting shots and their times, and naming composition styles in my head. Damn you teacher!(shakes fist)