Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word on the street about the new Indiana Jones movie is that it is

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    utter garbage. People who have seen it are caling it a 'fan's worst nightmare' and 'dreadful'. What did you expect? George Lucas has a knack for absolutely killing old classics. Reviewers are saying it is as bad as the Phatom Menace was for Star Wars.

http://sffmedia.com/content/view/193/38/

Apparently it is Colonel Jones now...

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is a review by one person. :rolleyes:

The film has not been screened yet, that won't be until tomorrow at the Cannes Film Festival and the film has been kept 'secret" there have been no showings of the film until today. I seriously doubt the credibilty of this person claiming to have been to some secret premiere of the movie. Your article is dated 5-13.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080516/121095996000.html

And Gravenewworld, you've been warned numerous times about making these super overly dramatic threads.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. May 17, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to remember if the critics liked the original one either. Often the critics give a movie a really harsh review, but it winds up being wildly popular by regular movie goers who just want to see something fun and enjoyable without worrying about complex plot lines and artsy cinematography.

5. May 17, 2008 #4

Apparently you don't know your pop culture very well Evo. Exhibitor screenings are required by law in 2 dozen states to prevent blind bidding on films which theater owners/execs used to have to do. Paramount has already shown such exhibitor screenings to theater execs and their reviews have started to leak out.

Oh and overly dramatic could describe 60% of PFers.

They are calling LaBeouf (or whatever his name is) the new Jar Jar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/movies/10indy.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  6. May 17, 2008 #5
    I am still looking forward to seeing the new film. I think it will be good, I have liked all the rest of them, so far..... :smile:

7. May 17, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

It's not a revisitation, so much as a continuation. As with Star Wars, the Indy movies were intended to be a trio of trilogies (nine parts). Whatever might have changed due to technology and viewer preferences, this movie was planned before the first one came out.

8. May 17, 2008 #7
    I just hope that Spielberg decided not to go too overboard with the special effects. The one thing I loved about the series is how realistic it was... no overdone pyrotechnics, nothing too 'out there'.

Then again, I suppose there's nothing realistic about souls coming out of the Ark of the Covenant and an 800 year old knight from the First Crusade surviving to the 1920s.

I guess as long as there's plenty of power hungry Nazis, i'll be happy.:biggrin:

9. May 17, 2008 #8

Evo

At least in GD. :tongue2:

10. May 17, 2008 #9

Evo

When you consider the plot, it may not be as way out as the aliens Lucas wanted, but it may be pretty far out there. I guess if anyone can pull it off, Spielberg can. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be ok. I'd like to see one more Indiana Jones film.

11. May 17, 2008 #10

Danger

Gold Member

HOW DARE YOU, YOU THRICE ACCURSED SON OF A CROSS-EYED SHE-CAMEL???!!
    I can get away with that in GD, right...? :uhh:

:biggrin:

12. May 17, 2008 #11
    Well, at least Harrison Ford is in it.

13. May 17, 2008 #12
    Ultimate person who makes the movie what it is, and sooo good :biggrin:

14. May 17, 2008 #13
    If he can't make the movie good, the movie is, per definition, plain crap. :biggrin:

15. May 17, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

You heathen!!!! Karen Allen is in it and she MADE the first movie.

16. May 17, 2008 #15
    Yes, but Harrison Ford.

17. May 17, 2008 #16
    Exactly, I'm so with you on that one :biggrin:

18. May 17, 2008 #17
    From what I've heard he is fighting commies aka Soviets. Something about not being able to make Harrison Ford look young enough to have him going against Nazis.

19. May 17, 2008 #18
    am i the only one who hasnt seen ANY of the indian jones movies :eek:

20. May 17, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:eek:

You do know that Raiders is the best movie ever made, bar none...

21. May 17, 2008 #20

russ_watters

I'm sure there are a handful of North Koreans and Tibetan monks who haven't seen it, but yeah, you're one of perhaps a few dozen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?