Word problem - Buying houses and taxes?

In summary, the maximum monthly amount that Miguel would have to pay after subtracting his tax savings is $1700.
amanda_

Homework Statement

Miguel Tijera plans to rent one house and purchase another. He estimates that mortgage interest deductions on his federal income tax will be 25% of his mortgage payments. He wants to spend no more than $800 a month on rent and $2000 a month on rent and mortgage payments combined. This amount does not take into account his income tax savings.

What is the maximum monthly amount (rent and mortgage combined) that Miguel would have to pay after subtracting his tax savings?

The Attempt at a Solution

= 2000(25%)
=1500

that's not one of the options, so I have no idea how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
amanda_ said:

Homework Statement

Miguel Tijera plans to rent one house and purchase another. He estimates that mortgage interest deductions on his federal income tax will be 25% of his mortgage payments. He wants to spend no more than $800 a month on rent and $2000 a month on rent and mortgage payments combined. This amount does not take into account his income tax savings.

What is the maximum monthly amount (rent and mortgage combined) that Miguel would have to pay after subtracting his tax savings?

The Attempt at a Solution

= 2000(25%)
=1500

that's not one of the options, so I have no idea how to solve this.
The total rent and mortgage payments are $2000 but the rent could be up to $800 leaving no more than 2000- 800= $1200 for mortgage payments. The deduction is 25% of 1200, not of the whole 2000.

HallsofIvy said:
The total rent and mortgage payments are $2000 but the rent could be up to $800 leaving no more than 2000- 800= $1200 for mortgage payments. The deduction is 25% of 1200, not of the whole 2000.

Okay so, I get 300 - but that's not the correct answer either. So here's what I did

25%(1200) = 300
2000-300 = 1700

You seem to be just putting numbers together at random without thinking about what the problem asks. Yes, if he paid the maximum, 800 for rent, so that he was paying the minimum, $1200, for mortgage payments, he could deduct 25%(1200)= $300. But the problem did not ask for that, it asked for "the maximum monthly amount (rent and mortgage combined) that Miguel would have to pay after subtracting his tax savings".

That would be 2000- 300= $1700.

HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be just putting numbers together at random without thinking about what the problem asks. Yes, if he paid the maximum, 800 for rent, so that he was paying the minimum, $1200, for mortgage payments, he could deduct 25%(1200)= $300. But the problem did not ask for that, it asked for "the maximum monthly amount (rent and mortgage combined) that Miguel would have to pay after subtracting his tax savings".

That would be 2000- 300= $1700.

I don't understand what the question was asking - hence asking here.

You just gave the same equation I did, so I obviously wasn't putting numbers together.

Thanks.

1. What is the process for calculating taxes on a house purchase?

Calculating taxes on a house purchase involves several steps. First, determine the assessed value of the property, which is typically a percentage of the market value. Then, multiply the assessed value by the applicable tax rate for the area. Finally, add any additional fees or assessments, such as school or municipal taxes.

2. How do property taxes differ for a primary residence versus a rental property?

The main difference between property taxes for a primary residence and a rental property is the tax rate. Generally, primary residences have lower tax rates than rental properties. Additionally, primary residences may be eligible for certain tax exemptions or deductions.

3. Are there any tax benefits for buying a house?

Yes, there are several potential tax benefits for buying a house. These include deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes, and certain home improvements. Consult a tax professional for specific information about your situation.

4. How does the location of a house affect property taxes?

The location of a house can have a significant impact on property taxes. Tax rates vary by state, county, and city, so properties in different locations may have different tax rates. Additionally, properties in areas with higher home values may have higher tax rates.

5. Can property taxes be negotiated when buying a house?

No, property taxes are set by the local government and cannot be negotiated. However, you can appeal the assessed value of your property if you believe it is too high, which may result in a lower tax bill.