Word problem equation linear growth and slope

In summary, a truck transports oils to gas stations and the cost varies depending on the distance traveled. At a full load, the cost is $300 for a distance of 120km and $350 for a distance of 165km. The costs change linearly with the distance traveled. Using the equation for a straight line, the cost can be calculated for any distance. The cost per kilometer can also be determined by finding the constant value for the "b" term in the equation. However, there may be differences in calculation methods among different teachers.
late347

Homework Statement

truck moves oils (lubricating oil presumably) to gas stations.
At full load the truck transportation cost is 300$ when the traveling distance is 120km

and the transportation cost is 350$ when the traveling distance is 165km
At this interval, the costs change linearly. You may use calculater for aid.

a) calculate the cost when the distance traveled is 150km

b) assuming the cost and distance change linearly even beyond the original interval, calculate the new distance, for when the cost would be 1000$

c) when do the costs fall, below 2$ per kilometer

Homework Equations

k = deltay/deltax

The Attempt at a Solution

equation for straight line is of the form
Also it should be noted that the costs do actually grow, when the distance traveled actually grows... there was something fishy about the ratio though. I think we must probably find the correct constant value for the b term in the equation

y= k * x + b

k= (350-300) / (165- 120)
k= 10/9

it is said that the interval has linear growths, I think we should probe the starting value, to see what the constant b would have been

300 = (10/9) * 120 + b
b= 500/3

y=( 10/3 ) * x + (500/3)

probe for the end value in interval (assuming end point and beginnning point are within the interval)

we achieve y= 350
When the values x= 165 and k= 10/9 and b = 500/3 is used

a) cost = 333,33 , distance traveled = 150km

b) cost = 1000$ distance traveleld = 750km

c) I need help for this part I think

My teacher sent me the different answers as mine. She sent me the answers to these.
Teacher had calculated k = (350-300) / (165-120) = 9/10
Correspondingly teacher had different value for the b term.

I don't think you end up with 9/10 = 50/45 in any mathematical fashion right there... but I don't know.
I think earlier my math teacher said that brackets are calculated first.
(350-300) / (165-120) = 50/45

50/45 fraction can be shrunken without changing its value ( I don't know what the procedure is called in English language, but fractions can shown in different forms, without changing its value, when you multiply or divide both the numeratorr and denominator by the same number which would not be 0)

10/ 9 = 50/45
because 50/5= 10
45/ 5 = 9
The question clearly stated that the costs change linearly with the distance travellled.
Cost grows, and distance grows. I don't think it is possible that the cost and the distance are inversely correlated between each other.
II'm pretty confused about whether or not my teacher was correct or whether I was correct.
I could use help to the c part of the problem.

How do I make sure that I find when the cost per km, drops to below (2$ / km)?

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:

Homework Statement

truck moves oils (lubricating oil presumably) to gas stations.
At full load the truck transportation cost is 300$ when the traveling distance is 120km

At this interval, the costs change linearly. You may use calculater for aid.

a) calculate the cost when the distance traveled is 150km

b) assuming the cost and distance change linearly even beyond the original interval, calculate the new distance, for when the cost would be 1000$

c) when do the costs fall, below 2$ per kilometer

Homework Equations

k = deltay/deltax

The Attempt at a Solution

equation for straight line is of the form
Also it should be noted that the costs do actually grow, when the distance traveled actually grows... there was something fishy about the ratio though. I think we must probably find the correct constant value for the b term in the equation

y= k * x + b

k= (350-300) / (165- 120)
k= 10/9

it is said that the interval has linear growths, I think we should probe the starting value, to see what the constant b would have been

300 = (10/9) * 120 + b
b= 500/3

y=( 10/3 ) * x + (500/3)

There is a typo in the equation above. Can you spot it?
probe for the end value in interval (assuming end point and beginnning point are within the interval)

we achieve y= 350
When the values x= 165 and k= 10/9 and b = 500/3 is used

a) cost = 333,33 , distance traveled = 150km

b) cost = 1000$ distance traveleld = 750km
The answers to a) and b) look good.
c) I need help for this part I think

My teacher sent me the different answers as mine. She sent me the answers to these.
Teacher had calculated k = (350-300) / (165-120) = 9/10
Correspondingly teacher had different value for the b term.
Your equation is correct for finding the cost of the transport by using the distance traveled as the independent variable.

Your teacher seems to be using the cost of the trip as the independent variable, and then presumably finding the distance from that cost.
I don't think you end up with 9/10 = 50/45 in any mathematical fashion right there... but I don't know.
Of course you do. Does 50 have 9 as an even factor? Does 45 have 10 as an even factor?

If the answer to either question is a big fat No, then 9/10 ≠ 50/45

BTW, 9/10 < 1 and 50/45 > 1, so there is no way that 9/10 = 50/45
I think earlier my math teacher said that brackets are calculated first.
(350-300) / (165-120) = 50/45

50/45 fraction can be shrunken without changing its value ( I don't know what the procedure is called in English language, but fractions can shown in different forms, without changing its value, when you multiply or divide both the numeratorr and denominator by the same number which would not be 0)
This is called simplifying or reducing a fraction to the lowest terms.
10/ 9 = 50/45
because 50/5= 10
45/ 5 = 9

5 is a common factor in both the numerator and the denominator of the fraction, and common factors can be canceled out to reduce the fraction to the lowest terms.
The question clearly stated that the costs change linearly with the distance travellled.
Cost grows, and distance grows. I don't think it is possible that the cost and the distance are inversely correlated between each other.

I'm pretty confused about whether or not my teacher was correct or whether I was correct.
I could use help to the c part of the problem.

How do I make sure that I find when the cost per km, drops to below (2$ / km)?

If you take the distance traveled in the first two examples and divide that figure into the cost of the trip, you will find out how much you are spending to transport the oil on an average dollars per kilometer basis.

For example, cost = $300 and distance = 120 km, therefore the cost to distance ratio is $300/120 km = $2.50 / km

What question c) wants to know is, using your cost and distance formula, how long a trip would the truck need to take so that when the total cost is divided by the distance, that ratio, Cost / Distance, is not greater than $2/km.

Hello

late347 said:

At this interval, the costs change linearly. You may use calculator for aid.
As a word of advice: making a drawing at such a point can be very illuminating !

my teacher got such equation for the line
cost = 0,9 * distance + 192

cost1= 327dollars at 150km
distance2 = 898km at 1000dollar--------------------------------

My own results were

Y= (10/9) x + 500/3

It can be shown in better way for addition purposes as follows
y= (10/9) X + 1500/9333,33 dollar at 150km
and 1000 dollar at 750km

I think the necessary ratio for c) part is

2 dollars / 1 kilometer = 2/1

I gleaned at my teacher's notes and it seems she did it such that

y/x = 2/1

multiply crossing in crossing fashion, (don't know what this is called in English mathematics properly)

2x = y

2x= (10/9) X + 1500/9

18x =10x+ 1500

8x= 1500
x= 187,5

late347 said:
my teacher got such equation for the line
cost = 0,9 * distance + 192

cost1= 327dollars at 150km
distance2 = 898km at 1000dollar--------------------------------

My own results were

Y= (10/9) x + 500/3

It can be shown in better way for addition purposes as follows
y= (10/9) X + 1500/9333,33 dollar at 150km
and 1000 dollar at 750km
You got the correct equation to figure transport cost given distance, and your math teacher's mistake is partially hidden by the fact that the slope of his equation is close to yours.
You have used the correct procedure for finding the slope, since it gives a value in dollars / km, while the slope for your teacher's equation is actually km / dollar.

As BvU suggested earlier, a picture is worth a lot of calculations.
I think the necessary ratio for c) part is

2 dollars / 1 kilometer = 2/1

I gleaned at my teacher's notes and it seems she did it such that

y/x = 2/1

multiply crossing in crossing fashion, (don't know what this is called in English mathematics properly)

It's called cross-multiplying
2x = y

2x= (10/9) X + 1500/9

18x =10x+ 1500

8x= 1500
x= 187,5
This answer is correct.

Likes late347

1. What is a word problem equation for linear growth?

A word problem equation for linear growth is an equation that represents a situation where the dependent variable (usually represented by y) increases or decreases at a constant rate over time. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you determine the slope of a linear growth equation?

The slope of a linear growth equation can be determined by taking the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values. This can also be written as "rise over run" or (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1).

3. What does the slope represent in a linear growth equation?

The slope in a linear growth equation represents the rate at which the dependent variable (y) changes for every one unit change in the independent variable (x). It is also known as the "constant rate of change" or "growth factor."

4. How does the y-intercept affect a linear growth equation?

The y-intercept in a linear growth equation represents the starting value or initial amount of the dependent variable when the independent variable is equal to 0. It can also be interpreted as the value of y when x = 0. It is important because it helps determine the starting point of the linear growth equation.

5. Can a linear growth equation have a negative slope?

Yes, a linear growth equation can have a negative slope. This indicates that the dependent variable decreases at a constant rate as the independent variable increases. In this case, the line would have a downward slope from left to right on a graph.