Matrix word problem- Precalculas

In summary, Factory A sent 10 loads and factory B sent 24. Store 1 used 17 loads and store 2 used 17 loads. It cost 200$ per load to ship from factory A to store 1. It cost 350$ per load to ship from factory A to store 2. It cost 300$ per load to ship from factory B to store 1. It cost 250$ per load from factory B to store 2. A total of 8350$ was spent on shipping.
thearn

Homework Statement

Factory A and B sent rice to store 1 and 2. Factory A sent 10 loads and factory B sent 24. Store 1 used 17 loads and store 2 used 17 loads. It cost 200$ per load to ship from factory A to store 1. It cost 350$ per load to ship from factory A to store 2. It cost 300$ per load to ship from factory B to store 1. It cost 250$ per load from factory B to store 2. A tiotal of 8350$ was spent on shipping. How many loads were shipped from each factory to each store.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem that I am having is setting up the equations to create a matrice that can accurately reflect the problem.
some scribbles were
200x+350y+300z+350E=8350$
x+y+z+e=34

Physics news on Phys.org
thearn said:

Homework Statement

Factory A and B sent rice to store 1 and 2. Factory A sent 10 loads and factory B sent 24. Store 1 used 17 loads and store 2 used 17 loads. It cost 200$ per load to ship from factory A to store 1. It cost 350$ per load to ship from factory A to store 2. It cost 300$ per load to ship from factory B to store 1. It cost 250$ per load from factory B to store 2. A tiotal of 8350$ was spent on shipping. How many loads were shipped from each factory to each store.

Homework Equations

None

The problem that I am having is setting up the equations to create a matrice that can accurately reflect the problem.
some scribbles were
x+y+z+e=34

Start by defining what your variables mean.
What do x, y z, E, and e represent?

After you do that, see if you can translate the statements in English in the problem to mathematical equations.

So I now have
200A1+350A2+300B1+250B2=8350
A1+0+B1+0=17
0+A2+0+B2=17
A1+A2+B1+B2=34
Defining the variables gives me.
A1= loads from factory A to store 1
B1= Loads from factory B to store 1
A2= Loads from factory A to store 2
B2= Loads from factory B to store 2
The answer came out with 27, 17, -10, and 0. So it's clear I set it up incorrectly.

Now that you have identified some variables, let's start translating the problem statement.

Factory A sent 10 loads and factory B sent 24.
This can be translated into two equations.

One of them is
A1 + A2 = 10

Do you understand what this is saying?
If so, what other equation can we get from the sentence above?

B1 + B2 = 24
A1 + A2 = 10
yes, what it is saying is that Loads from factory B to store1 + Loads from factory B to store2 = 24 loads. Same concept with A1 + A2 = 10

thearn said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

some scribbles were
x+y+z+e=34

If A1, A2, B1, B2 are the factory-store shipments (in obvious labelling), we have
[tex] \begin{array}{l}A1+A2 = 10\\
B1 + B2 = 24\\
A1+B1 = 17\\
A2 + B2 = 17
\end{array}[/tex]
Here, you have 4 unknowns and 4 equations, but if you try to solve them you will find that you can't get a complete solution. Basically, one of the 4 equations follows from the other three, so you really have only 3 independent equations.

You need a 4th, independent, equation, and that is where the cost information comes in. So, omit one of the equations above and replace it by the cost equation---then solve.

RGV

thanks that got it done.

1. What is a matrix word problem in precalculus?

A matrix word problem in precalculus involves using matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers, to represent and solve real-world problems. These problems typically involve multiple variables and equations, and the use of matrices allows for a more efficient and organized approach to finding solutions.

2. How do I set up a matrix word problem in precalculus?

To set up a matrix word problem in precalculus, you will first need to identify the variables and equations involved in the problem. Then, create a matrix with the coefficients of each variable and the constant terms. Finally, use matrix operations to solve the system of equations and find the values of the variables.

3. What are the different types of matrix word problems in precalculus?

There are several types of matrix word problems in precalculus, including systems of equations, optimization problems, and population growth problems. Each type of problem requires a different approach and may involve different types of matrices, such as augmented matrices or inverse matrices.

4. How can I check my solution to a matrix word problem in precalculus?

To check your solution to a matrix word problem in precalculus, you can use matrix multiplication to verify that your solution satisfies all of the equations in the problem. You can also plug in the values for the variables into the original problem to see if they make sense in the context of the problem.

5. What are some tips for solving matrix word problems in precalculus?

Some tips for solving matrix word problems in precalculus include organizing the information given in the problem into a matrix, using matrix operations to solve the system of equations, and checking your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of matrix word problems to become more familiar with the process.