Word: review comments typing backwards

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary: Microsoft Word?In summary, the problem is that the comment header and text cursor are advancing left even though the text accumulates on the right of the text string. This is specific to this document, and is not an issue with other documents from the same source. Changing the "direction" setting in "indents and spacing" in Microsoft Word's "general" tab fixes the problem.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Help! My comments are appearing backwards in a doc I'm reviewing.

See attached.

What I typed was: [ Hello Bob A1234 ]

The comment reads: [ 1234Hello Bob A :Comment ]
(see attached diagrams)

It builds like this:
[ |H:Comment ]
[ |He:Comment ]
[ |Hel:Comment ]
[ |Hell:Comment ]
[ |Hello:Comment ]
[ |Hello :Comment ]
[ |Hello B:Comment ]
[ |Hello Bo:Comment ]
[ |Hello Bob:Comment ]
[ |Hello Bob A:Comment ]
[ |1Hello Bob A:Comment ]
[ |12Hello Bob A:Comment ]
[ |123Hello Bob A:Comment ]
[ |1234Hello Bob A:Comment ]​
Several things are happening:
1] The 'Comment' header appears on the right of the comment box, with the colon to its left.
2] The text cursor starts at the right and advances left as I type (staying to the left of the building string of text) - even though the text itself accumulates on the right of the text string! (see demo, above)
3] Numbers break the pattern, jumping to the left even without the benefit of spaces.

Tests:
This does not do this in a new, blank document; it is intrinisc to this document.
This does occur on multiple machines; again, intrinsic to this document.
This does occur even if I copy and paste the document's contents into a newly-created document; soit is intrinsic to the content of this document.
Playing with the text style, even the 'Comment text' style has no effect.
This does not occur in other documents from this same source of mine.

I am unable to query the source, or ask for new documents.

My first suspicion is some sort of Arabic language formatting thing where writing is from right to left.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Attachments

• PF070115comment.gif
    PF070115comment.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 751
  • PF070115comment2.gif
    PF070115comment2.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I tried for a bit to replicate the problem, but I couldn't get it to print backwards. Any chance of you deleting the text and posting the file so we can play around with it?

Thanks! Here's the doc.

Attachments

• WeirdComments.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 329
Well, I fixed it, I'll try my best to explain how!

Click so the cursor is in the comment box. Then go to format -> paragraph. On the first tab "indents and spacing" you'll see under general a "direction" You need to change this to "Left to Right"

Hope this helps.

Thank you! (I knew it was an Arabic thing...)

Trouble is, I don't have that option. A look through Help:

The feature described in this Help topic is only available if support for a right-to-left language, such as Arabic, is enabled through Microsoft Office Langauge Settings.

And a look in Microsoft Office Langauge Settings tells me that this is an XP Pro thing. I have XP Home.

While I can't fix the problem myself, confirming what the problem is gets me halfway there.

If I change it, save it, then post it back, do you think it will remain corrected on your machine? I can do that, if you think it'll help!

cristo said:
If I change it, save it, then post it back, do you think it will remain corrected on your machine? I can do that, if you think it'll help!
I wish I could. I'm doing this on behalf of my wife and I made that suggestion. She categorically ruled that out.

She'll do it, she'll just have to do it through her approved IT channel. But thanks very much for the offer!

Ahh right, ok. Well, at least you're halfway there! Good luck!

Darn. That was wierd. I knew it had to do something with the foreign language. The file brought up a lot of different options I have never seen before. My machine has XP Pro and I still did not have the direction option.

FredGarvin said:
Darn. That was wierd. I knew it had to do something with the foreign language. The file brought up a lot of different options I have never seen before. My machine has XP Pro and I still did not have the direction option.

So, it worked for cristo but not for you.

Is it possibble you don't have the language options installed? They don't come installed as default. Look up 'language direction' in help

I probably don't. I was suprised to see some menu options in arabic though.

FredGarvin said:
I probably don't. I was suprised to see some menu options in arabic though.

I didn't get that. But of course, I don't have the version installed. Hey cristo, did you get some arabic menu options?

DaveC426913 said:
Hey cristo, did you get some arabic menu options?

Nope, all my menu options are in English as usual. It's very strange how the same document can have different effects on different computers, like this!

The easiest solution is to your your document as plain text (*.txt), close Word, open the text document in Notepad, reopen Word and copy and paste the whole text into a blank Word document.

You'll lose any formatting, though.

The problem occurs when the document was created in an Arabic version of Word.

laurencekoste said:
The easiest solution is to your your document as plain text (*.txt), close Word, open the text document in Notepad, reopen Word and copy and paste the whole text into a blank Word document.

You'll lose any formatting, though.

The problem occurs when the document was created in an Arabic version of Word.
Well OK thanks. It's been 2 1/2 years ... but thanks...:wink:

I know, but other people with the same problem will google it and find this page (that's what I did).

Here is how to get around the problem.

Left Click in the COMMENT FIELD and KEY in "CTRL-A" to select all. Then start typing.

I had a document sent to me from the Middle East and I drove me bonkers! You will have to do this for each comment - just the nature of the two language formats - but it works!

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Is it possibble you don't have the language options installed? They don't come installed as default. Look up 'language direction' in help

Dave, have you tried installing various language packs and trying again to go from your halfway point to correcting it fully? You can always uninstall the language packs later.

I'm just as concerned as to how this came about. Was it something you changed? Or was it an overactive (invasive) piece of code that crept onto your system from some website or program you downloaded? Could it have been a macro embedded in a Word document left over from a previous version written in Arabic?

mugaliens said:
Dave, have you tried installing various language packs and trying again to go from your halfway point to correcting it fully? You can always uninstall the language packs later.

I'm just as concerned as to how this came about. Was it something you changed? Or was it an overactive (invasive) piece of code that crept onto your system from some website or program you downloaded? Could it have been a macro embedded in a Word document left over from a previous version written in Arabic?

Well, since I was a significantly younger man at the time...as was whatever version of Windows I was running, let alone Word ... I'm afraid I have no answer now. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Well, since I was a significantly younger man at the time...as was whatever version of Windows I was running, let alone Word ... I'm afraid I have no answer now. :wink:

Oh. So this happened a while ago? I missed the memo (in your OP, and my bad). And looking back, I see it was in 2007. Who necromaniacly resurrected this thread?

Ah - a one-post-wonder.

I'll reset my radar so as to avoid OPW responses to threads from yesteryear!

- Mugs

necromaniacal

:biggrin:

Are you collaborating with someone who speaks Arabic or another "right to left" language? This problem happened to me and it was because the default style in the document was formatted in Arabic.

Pretty impressive that it was revived THREE times, and even this time the posted completely ignored both the date AND the content.

Thanks to all who posted about comments coming out backwards. The original document is from Iran, which probably explains why the comments were backwards in my edit.

A special thnk you to Smorge, who offered an easy solution to the problem.

Terry K

Will someone puhLEEZE close this 4 1/2 year old thread!

1. What is the purpose of typing backwards in a review comment?

Typing backwards in a review comment is done to provide constructive criticism or feedback on a written work. It allows the reviewer to highlight specific areas of improvement without altering the original text.

2. How do I type backwards in a review comment?

To type backwards in a review comment, you can use the "reverse text" function in most word processing programs, or simply type the words in reverse order manually. Some online review platforms also have a built-in feature for typing backwards.

3. Is typing backwards in a review comment effective?

Yes, typing backwards in a review comment can be an effective way to provide feedback. It allows the reviewer to focus on specific areas of improvement and can also make the comment more memorable for the writer.

4. Are there any guidelines for typing backwards in a review comment?

When typing backwards in a review comment, it is important to be clear and concise. Use specific examples and avoid vague or general statements. It is also helpful to offer suggestions for improvement rather than just pointing out mistakes.

5. Can typing backwards in a review comment be used for positive feedback?

Yes, typing backwards in a review comment can be used for both positive and negative feedback. It can be a useful tool for highlighting strengths in a written work as well as areas for improvement.