Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,782 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 500 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Playing virtually from Kiritimati.

"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 500 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Playing virtually from Kiritimati.

"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."​
A VPN helps in these cases.
 
Wrichik Basu said:
A VPN helps in these cases.
Ugh! Sounds like another password I'd have to write down. I'll stick to changing the time/date stamp on my computer. hmmm... Perhaps I'll move one time zone a day until I get back home. That'll take nearly a month!

As the Moody Blues once sang; "Thinking is the best way to travel".

By the way, did you notice I beat WordleBot today/morrow, after having been totally humiliated the days before.
 
OmCheeto said:
"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."[ref: wiki]

I read the wiki link and am still going HUH ??!

ya can't go past +12 because then you cross the date line and go into the previous day
OK so politics caused a long and narrow kink to the east in the dateline taking in
those islands and giving them + 13 and +14 ... they are really in -11 and -10 LOL

1667258460996.png


we live and learn :)
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and OmCheeto
Wordle 501 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Played virtually in Auckland, New Zealand @ 0005 am 2022.11.02.Wednesday

note: There was a discrepancy between the date and time between two different internet sources for Fakaofo, which is why I went for Auckland. This also means that I may be off on the time and date for the locale I list, though the Wordle game number is as intended.
 
davenn said:
so we are trying to guess a word without any clues at all ?
dang !
Well, not exactly. You can get a sense of what the word is by looking at the general patterns of people who are playing. If no one gets any letters right on the first guessed word then it's usually safe to assume that no common letters are in the word. According to a couple of sources, 'SLATE' is the best word to start with. So if you have a list of the 2309 words on a spreadsheet you can eliminate all the words containing those letters and choose from the remaining list. Of course, if people become aware that someone always uses the same word for the first guess then they have a slight advantage. And the more people who play before you, the better your odds. For instance, one day I was able to guess the days word in only one try by hyper-analyzing the patterns of everyone who had played before me.

This may or may not be why you were summoned.
Whistles innocently.

Beings that I live in one of the last well populated time zones on the planet, and have had a bit of an advantage this whole time, I'm currently playing the game in different time zones, starting with the aforementioned atoll, which is why my game number will be higher than everyone else's for a few days. Some people may have guessed that I was using 'SLATE' as my first guess, so I've asked my computer to pick randomly from a list of 10 words that I've decided are nearly as good as 'SLATE', but start with a different letter of the alphabet. Some days the choice is exceptional, game 500 for example, and other days, not. Lots of luck is involved. But there's lots of logic involved also.

Since you're new, I'll explain something I've learned about controlling which game you play. It's controlled by the date stamp on your computer. So all I have to do to play tomorrow's game is bump my calendar 1 day forward. Likewise, I'm guessing I could play any game in the past. This doesn't work for games you've already played, as Wordle keeps track of that, and will just show you your score and guesses for that day.

The nicest thing about the game is that it generally takes less than a minute to play each day. Of course, some people, like myself, who are retired and have too much time on our hands, go a bit overboard and can spend up to 2 hours analyzing and playing a single game. Not so much lately since no one currently plays before I do.
 
Wordle 502 2/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My turn for some good luck.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and fresh_42