Work density / heat density question

In summary, the conversation discusses a piston-cylinder device holding R-134a at an initial pressure and temperature, and adding heat until the specific volume reaches a certain value while keeping the pressure constant. The final temperature is determined to be between 80-90 degrees Celsius using thermodynamic tables and linear interpolation. The work density and heat density associated with this process are also discussed, with the realization that the necessary values for solving these calculations are not provided. The concept of work and heat density is also brought up and further clarification is requested.
eurekameh
A piston-cylinder device holds R-134a at an initial pressure of 400 kPa and a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius. Heat is added until the specific volume is v = 0.07 m^3/kg while the pressure is held constant.

a. Determine the temperature of the final state.
Because the pressure is 0.4 MPa and the specific volume v = 0.07 m^3/kg and because it is a superheated gas, I used table A-13 of the thermodynamic tables and found that that temperature is between 80 - 90 degrees Celsius. Using linear interpolation, I get 85.5 degrees Celsius.
b. Determine the work density associated with this process.
c. Using enthalpy determine the heat density required for this process.
d. Determine the heat density required for this process by explicitly
using boundary work.

For b, I found the boundary work Wb = integral(P dV) = P(V2 - V1) and realized that I only have the specific volume at both states, but not the volume. For c, I did Q,in = H2 - H1, where H is the enthalpy. Then I realized that I only have the specific enthalpy h. How do I go about solving this problem? Also, can anyone explain what the work and heat density specifically and physically is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What is work density and heat density?

Work density refers to the amount of work done per unit volume, while heat density refers to the amount of heat energy per unit volume.

How are work density and heat density related?

Work and heat are both forms of energy, so work density and heat density are related through their energy per unit volume measurement.

What are the units of measurement for work density and heat density?

The units for work density are joules per cubic meter (J/m^3), while the units for heat density are joules per cubic meter per kelvin (J/m^3K).

How do you calculate work density and heat density?

To calculate work density, divide the amount of work done by the volume in which it was done. For heat density, divide the amount of heat energy by the volume and temperature difference.

What are some real-world applications of work density and heat density?

Work density and heat density are important in various fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and material science. They are used to analyze and design efficient systems and processes, such as heat engines and heat exchangers.