Work done by friction, gravity, and normal force on an inclined plane

  • Thread starter Thread starter lostinthespiral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Incline
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lostinthespiral
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am having real problems understanding friction and how it relates to problems. Right now all I have to work with is a Cal-oriented book, but the class I'm in is taught with just Trig. I am completely lost. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Starting from rest, a 4.33 kg block slides 2.82 m down a rough 25.8 degree incline. The coeficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.481. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

a.) Find the work done by the force of gravity. Answer in units of J.
b.) Find the work done by the friction force between block and incline. Answer in units of J.
c.) Find the work done by the normal force. Answer in units of J.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yupp - cyclovenom said it - Draw a free diagram - label all the forces, including the normal force and the force parallel to the surface.

Remember from the last problem I helped u with that

[tex]F_{friction} = \mu N[/tex]