Work done by friction on a two-block system

In summary, static friction (μmg) will not balance the force of an applied force, so the lower block will move and a force of 0.5 N will be applied to the upper block. Friction will then do the work of moving the upper block with a force of W=0.5×6=3 J.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
A force F=0.5N is applied on lower block as shown in figure.The work done by lower block by lower block on upper block for a displacement of 6m of the upper block with respect to ground is (in J).Take g=10m/s^2.
The figure is in attempt at a solution.
Relevant Equations
Friction=uN
Work done=Fdcostheta

I calculated friction = 1N.But since force is more than maximum friction,therefore lower block will not move and a force of 0.5N will be applied to upper block.
Therefore its work done by friction will be W=0.5×6=3 J.
But answer given is 1 J.
Can anyone help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
I calculated friction = 1N.
Note: μmg gives the maximum possible static friction; the actual friction force acting between the blocks will be less.
Physics lover said:
But since force is more than maximum friction,therefore lower block will not move and a force of 0.5N will be applied to upper block.
Both blocks will certainly move. (Note that the surface is frictionless.) Hint: Use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration of the system.

Doc Al said:
Note: μmg gives the maximum possible static friction; the actual friction force acting between the blocks will be less.

Both blocks will certainly move. (Note that the surface is frictionless.) Hint: Use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration of the system.
Can you explain me why will the lower block will also move.Will friction not balance the force on the lower block.

Physics lover said:
Can you explain me why will the lower block will also move.
It's being pushed! 😉
Physics lover said:
Will friction not balance the force on the lower block.
Do you mean: Will the friction force on the lower block equal and thus cancel the applied force on the lower block? No.

First thing you need to do, though it will require several steps, is to figure out the friction force needed to keep the top block moving with the bottom one. (It will be less than μmg.) Do this: Assume the two blocks move as one. Figure out the acceleration of the system, then use that to find the needed friction force.

Doc Al said:
It's being pushed! 😉

Do you mean: Will the friction force on the lower block equal and thus cancel the applied force on the lower block? No.

First thing you need to do, though it will require several steps, is to figure out the friction force needed to keep the top block moving with the bottom one. (It will be less than μmg.) Do this: Assume the two blocks move as one. Figure out the acceleration of the system, then use that to find the needed friction force.
Can you please explain why it is a no.

Physics lover said:
Can you please explain why it is a no.
How about you first do as I suggested. Things will make much more sense then.

Here are some additional thoughts that might help. First, realize that static friction acts to prevent slipping between surfaces. So, when the bottom block is pushed, the two blocks will move as one as long as there is sufficient static friction to accelerate the upper block along with the bottom block so they move together. (If the acceleration created by the applied force is too much, then there will not be enough static friction and the blocks will slip with respect to each other. Either way, they both move, just not with the same acceleration.)

Your job is to figure out what friction force is required to keep those blocks together. To do that, follow the suggestions I've given above.

Doc Al said:
Here are some additional thoughts that might help. First, realize that static friction acts to prevent slipping between surfaces. So, when the bottom block is pushed, the two blocks will move as one as long as there is sufficient static friction to accelerate the upper block along with the bottom block so they move together. (If the acceleration created by the applied force is too much, then there will not be enough static friction and the blocks will slip with respect to each other. Either way, they both move, just not with the same acceleration.)

Your job is to figure out what friction force is required to keep those blocks together. To do that, follow the suggestions I've given above.
Ok i understood it.Thanks i got the answer too.

1. What is work done by friction on a two-block system?

The work done by friction on a two-block system is the amount of energy that is lost due to the force of friction acting between the two blocks. This energy is converted into heat, causing the blocks to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which it acts. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance over which the force acts.

3. What factors affect the work done by friction on a two-block system?

The amount of work done by friction on a two-block system is influenced by the coefficient of friction, the normal force between the blocks, and the distance over which the force of friction acts. The weight and surface properties of the blocks can also affect the amount of work done by friction.

4. How does the work done by friction affect the motion of the two-block system?

The work done by friction will cause the two blocks to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This is because the energy lost to friction reduces the overall kinetic energy of the system. The amount of work done by friction can also determine the rate at which the blocks slow down.

5. Can the work done by friction ever be positive?

No, the work done by friction can never be positive. This is because friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion, meaning it always works to reduce the kinetic energy of the system. As a result, work done by friction is always negative, indicating a loss of energy.