Work done by Octane Combustion Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an insulated internal combustion engine fueled by one mole of octane, operating at a constant pressure of 5.0 bar and an initial temperature of 200°C. The question asks for the calculation of the heat exchanged with the surroundings, the Δh for the gas, the final temperature, the work performed by the gas, and the Δu for the gas. The conversation also provides the balanced equation and the necessary equations to solve the problem. The solution involves finding the work using the ideal gas equation and then using the Δu equation to find the final answer.
SniffLimit

Homework Statement

There is an insulated internal combustion engine fueled by one mole of octane. It operates at a constant pressure of 5.0 bar. The initial temperature is 200°C. Calculate the heat exchanged with the surroundings, the Δh for the gas, the final temperature, the work performed by the gas, and and the Δu for the gas.

I'm given the balanced equation:

C8H18 + 12.5 O2 + 50 N2 → 9 H2O + 8 CO2 + 50 N2

I'm also given the enthalpies of formation and the CP (at 298 K) for each product and reactant, but I've already successfully found the final temperature, so I don't think it's necessary to include them here.

I just need to find the work and the Δu at this point.

Homework Equations

w = nRΔT
w = -PΔV
Δu = q + w
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

The heat exchanged with the surroundings is 0. The Δh for the gas is 0. The final temperature is 2662.42 K. I've confirmed that these three answers are correct. To find the work, I think I would just use the work equation above, but I'm not sure what it wants me to plug in for n. Moles of reactants? Moles of products?

I suppose I could use the ideal gas equation to find the volumes at the initial and final temperatures, and then use the other work equation.

(500,000 Pa) V = 63.5 (8.314) (473.15)
Vi = 0.4996 m3

(500,000 Pa) V = 67 (8.314) (2662.43)
Vf = 2.9661 m3

ΔV = 2.466560689 m3

w = (-500,000 Pa) (2.466560689 m3)
w = -1233280.344 J

But how would I go about finding the Δu?

Δu = Δh - PΔV

Whoops, I solved it...

Last edited:
Likes Ygggdrasil
Physics news on Phys.org
SniffLimit said:
Whoops, I solved it...
LOL. Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Yeah, sometimes just organizing your thoughts to post the question helps.

Feel free to try again next time you have problems with a question :wink:

1. What is work done by an octane combustion engine?

The work done by an octane combustion engine refers to the amount of energy produced by the engine when burning octane fuel. This energy is typically used to power the vehicle's movement or operate other systems, such as the air conditioning or lights.

2. How is work done by an octane combustion engine measured?

The work done by an octane combustion engine is typically measured in units of joules (J) or horsepower (hp). This measurement takes into account factors such as the engine's efficiency and the amount of fuel consumed.

3. What factors affect the work done by an octane combustion engine?

The work done by an octane combustion engine can be affected by a variety of factors, including the quality of the fuel used, the engine's design and condition, and the load placed on the engine (i.e. how much work it is required to do).

4. How does the work done by an octane combustion engine impact its performance?

The work done by an octane combustion engine directly affects its performance, as it determines the amount of power and torque the engine can produce. If the engine is not producing enough work, it may struggle to accelerate or maintain speed.

5. Can the work done by an octane combustion engine be increased?

Yes, the work done by an octane combustion engine can be increased through various means, such as using higher quality fuel, maintaining the engine properly, and optimizing its design and components. However, it is important to note that there may be limitations based on the engine's size and intended use.