1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by stretching a STring

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    I have been looking all over for an equation to find the work done on a steel string that is stretched L meters.

"Find the work needed to stretch the string."

I know it has variable forces so I was thinking I could use elastic potential

[tex]U=\frac{kx^{2}}_{2}[/tex]

but now I have the problem finding out what K is.

ANY help is appreciated thanks.

Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this a homework problem? That can't be the full question. You've got the right idea if the steel wire can be considered as a spring. You'll need a modulus of elasticity and the geometry of the wire to actually do this.

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    yea I have the area of the wire and the modulus... I just need help figuring out which equation to use.

Thanks,
    Nick

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Didn't they give you a formula for that as well? The elastic modulus Y, has units of N/m^2, yes? k should have units of N/m. So I would guess on purely dimensional grounds that if L is length and A is cross sectional area that k=Y*A/L. Can you confirm that by doing some research? Units are your friend. Exploit them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?