1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done - problem set without ans. given

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    Hello
    I am doing a series of exercises and the answers are not in the back of the book. Can someone see if I have the correct answer for the following problem? Many thanks :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The brakes of a truck cause it to slow down is done by applying a force of 3.0 x 103 N to the truck over a distance of 850m. What is the work done by the force on the truck? Is the work positive or negative - why?

2. Relevant equations
    netF=ma
    W = Fs
    W = F cos (theta) s

3. The attempt at a solution

F = 3.0 x 10^3
    s = 850m

use 180 degrees as the direction of force is opposite to the direction of motion. - or is it? (if a decelerating force it's - and the vector is -... but i assumed it's opposite as we're looking at displacement..

W = 3.0 x 10^3 cos 180 x 65
    = -3.0 x 10 ^ 6 Joules

I don't think it is correct but have no way of knowing as there is no solution in the text - many thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Work = Force*distance, you got it right. But I have no idea why after you wrote: "W = F cos (theta) s" you write: "W = 3.0 x 10^3 cos 180 x 65". s = 850m, not 65 m, isn't?

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Sorry I was already working on another problem... sorry that would have been very confusing and random. Thank you or your confirmation :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook