Work Done to Stop 1590 kg Car from 82 km/hr

  • Thread starter Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
chaotixmonjuish
Messages
284
Reaction score
0
With brakes fully applied, a 1590 kg car decelerates from a speed of 82.0 km/hr. What is the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop?

I'm not really sure what to do here. I tried the whole (1590*82)/2. That didn't work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Work = energy, so the work done to stop the car is the same as its energy when the braking starts.
 
The work done by the brakes is the change in kinetic energy.

W=1/2*m(Vf^2-Vi^2)

That's all. Notice that final velocity is zero.

I tried the whole (1590*82)/2.

You didn't use the kinetic energy equation. First of all you need to change units, velocity should be in m/s not on km/hr and this velocity should be square.
 
Last edited:
I got 409655 Joules, I'm not sure if this is right.

The velocity I used was 22.77
 
chaotixmonjuish said:
I got 409655 Joules, I'm not sure if this is right.

The velocity I used was 22.77

That's correct (well, more or less; I used 22.78, but it depends upon your rounding).
 
What's a "lon capa." Like I said, it depends upon your rounding and how many significant figures the answer needs to be to.
 
It's some computer program that tolerates +/- 10%

I used 22.77, and I got 412.54 kJ